• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baker blog paladin and dragonborn

Wormwood

Adventurer
MaelStorm said:
Yeah, well I'm in the minority who likes the addition of the Dragonborn and Tiefling race in the PHB I instead of Half-Orcs and Gnome remaining.
At this point, I think we're comfortably in the majority.

Pale Jackal

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Lol, so how many more "me too's" till we become the majority? :p

Me too? Though I'd prefer more lizardman than "katana-wielding lightning-breather"... though if the breath weapons pop up in the paragon tier [as opposed to heroic], that'll make me happy.

MaelStorm

First Post
Well I had the perception tons of people were bashing on the dragonborn. One example: PHB cover with the dragonborn, so many people said they didn't like their look. I remember the poll a few weeks ago, only 50% of the people will keep the dragonborn as is. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not in the minority anymore :cool:!

FallenTabris

First Post
I was imagining that more people disliked the inclusion of the tieflings rather than hating on the dragonborn. Though I have to admit I'll miss the gnomes. I used them far more often than halflings. Silly little fat hobbits or pseudo kender clash with my sensibilities.

Thaumaturge said:
I read it the same way, but I know I've read some designer or another mention they didn't want to force the DMs tactically in the way a pure "aggro" mechanic like this would. Hrm.

Thaumaturge.

maybe it's just a -4 to attack if they don't attack the paladin

or if they don't attack the paladin they give combat advantage to the paladin or all the other characters

I think the changes to the Paladin Challenge/Mark just mean that it's no longer the "deal 8 points of damage per round if your enemy attacks someone else, so that you - The Holy Defender - best run away like a wussy coward and let the opponents waste their attacks and hit points on your comrades" ;) I don't think other aspects of the mark mechanics have changed. ;)

Since the Dragonborn are, well, Dragonborn, I am not surprised that they get a breath weapon. From the previews and Races & Classes it seemed as if you can get the racial features all till 10th level. But as far as I understood, you don't need to take the racial abilities. (So it might be also easy to house-rule them more "lizardy" and less "dragony" by giving them another racial ability. Or just throw the ability out).

Li Shenron

Legend
MaelStorm said:
Mmmm, Dragonborn breathing lightning. Wow, I'm drooling! That is why WotC has been keeping the Dragonborn race under a cover of secrecy until now. Can't wait to learn more about the Dragonborn race.

There are about half a dozen dragon-related playable creatures in 3ed, starting with the half-dragon template...

In any case, before you drool, check out how much damage does the breath weapon do. It is certainly in line with class abilities, so it won't be much different than tossing a Lightning Bolt, the only difference being cosmetic.

MaelStorm

First Post
Li Shenron said:
There are about half a dozen dragon-related playable creatures in 3ed, starting with the half-dragon template...
I did not play 3E/3.5. But what I've seen about those races in different books didn't impress me. [i.e.: Races of Dragon]
In any case, before you drool, check out how much damage does the breath weapon do. It is certainly in line with class abilities, so it won't be much different than tossing a Lightning Bolt, the only difference being cosmetic.
Yes, it's all imaginary. That's why I love RPGs.

am181d

Adventurer
Assumption 1: the corrected paladin mark ability will require the paladin to attack the opponent each round, but will otherwise be identical to the previously released rule.

Assumption 2: the dragonborn breath weapon ability will be a racial feat available at either heroic or paragon level; those looking for more lizard-flavored dragonborn (lizardborn?) can simply veto the feat (and the inevitable dragon wing feat at paragon/epic)

Remove ads