• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baker blog paladin and dragonborn

MaelStorm

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
If that is a minority, then I'm in it too - I much prefer the Dragonborn and Tiefling to the half-orc and gnome.

I suppose a lot depends upon when breath weapons appear - if they are paragon style stuff that appears as a higher end 'racial perfection' kind of thing, then its not such an issue for me. If it is there at 1st level then it is. Just the same as my feelings about Eladrin fey step.

Cheers
R&C sort of hinted on this:
Richard Baker in Races and Classes said:
If you want to play a proud, battle-bred warrior, if you want to sprout wings and breathe fire as you go up in level if you want the coolness that is dragons, you'll want to play a dragonborn.
My guess is:
-at paragon level: encounter*standard action to a breathe weapon of choice (depending on dragonborn ancestry)
-at epic level: at-will*free action to use wings (giving a fly movement score)

Moon-Lancer

First Post
dragonborn in 3e also could breath fire or energy or whatnot. alternatively it could fly or gain blindsight, so this is really not a revelation. If they dident have these options, that would be more astounding news. But a confirmation is a confirmation, and news is news.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Amen. I mean, I recognize that the designers need to keep a lot of the info underwraps until release, and I respect that. But guys come on. You've given us the paladin power, we have tons of groups playing 4e adventures with these pregen characters, and the book is in print.

Can we please have the paladin's mark errata? So we can play the pregens "correctly"

I'm thinking of adding this text to the paladin's Divine Challenge in the PrRC (PHB-Lite) v1.3. Let me know what you think, here or in the PHB-Lite thread.

(in special) “You must be actively engaging or moving to engage the marked creature in melee combat or the mark fades at the end of your turn.”

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Verys Arkon said:
I'm thinking of adding this text to the paladin's Divine Challenge in the PrRC (PHB-Lite) v1.3. Let me know what you think, here or in the PHB-Lite thread.

(in special) “You must be actively engaging or moving to engage the marked creature in melee combat or the mark fades at the end of your turn.”

Considering that Keith says

For those concerned about the paladin's marking power, it's gone through a few changes, and what I'll note is that while it played a valuable role in multiple situations, I never actually inflicted damage with it during the game; it simply drew people to attack me instead of my wounded buddies. But since there were quite a few situations where my buddies were wounded, there was nothing wrong with that. Nonetheless, I wasn't dropping enemies right and left with my paladin's challenge.

I almost wonder whether the Paladins Challenge will be something like

Paladins challenge
at-will
Cha vs Will
Hit: they must include you in targeting their next attack

i.e. something to make people attack you (through divine power) rather than something that damages people who don't attack you.

Cheers

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Plane Sailing said:
I almost wonder whether the Paladins Challenge will be something like

Paladins challenge
at-will
Cha vs Will
Hit: they must include you in targeting their next attack

i.e. something to make people attack you (through divine power) rather than something that damages people who don't attack you.

I read it the same way, but I know I've read some designer or another mention they didn't want to force the DMs tactically in the way a pure "aggro" mechanic like this would. Hrm.

Thaumaturge.

Plane Sailing said:
If that is a minority, then I'm in it too - I much prefer the Dragonborn and Tiefling to the half-orc and gnome.
I want all four, but I am a greedy git!
But how the mark has changed? I dunno he doesn't specifically say it doesn't inflict damage only that he didn't during that game

hong

WotC's bitch
Plane Sailing said:

I suppose a lot depends upon when breath weapons appear - if they are paragon style stuff that appears as a higher end 'racial perfection' kind of thing, then its not such an issue for me. If it is there at 1st level then it is. Just the same as my feelings about Eladrin fey step.

Cheers
Me too

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads