Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
That same era spawned an unlikely industrial disco band called My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult. This wasn’t just some watered down version of the genre- they had been among the genre’s founding groups, but had taken a bizarre turn. Lidyia Lunch was a member. They worked with members of their label mates KMFDM & Ministry. Here’s the 2 main versions of their best-known song.

The album I owned was 13 above the Night. Listened to it quite a bit; although I don't actually remember any of the tracks to pick a specific video - so here's the whole album.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Last one for the night - Sisters of Mercy. I owned Floodland, and this was their biggest hit in the UK. A great example of terrible TERRIBLE lip-syncing.

I worked at a night club in the early 90's, and every Sunday night was all-ages Alternative/Goth night. Made terrible tips, but the music was good. This one was in heavy rotation...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Here's another oddball song. "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (that's the band name) is a psychedelic rock song sung from the perspective of the God of Hellfire who is destroying everything his victims had built up over their lifetimes. This song was released in 1968, and I'm including it because it was fairly influencial on the nascent heavy metal genre which was forming at the same time.

The reason I call this an oddball song is because I have never heard it on the radio. At least not in whole - and I'll explain in a minute. The song just doesn't fit into any good category for American radio. It's not heavy metal or hard rock, it doesn't fit into the classic rock genre, it's not used for the soundtrack to movies set in the 60s, and there just doesn't seem to be any place for it. The only time I've heard it on the radio was a local station which played the opening to the song where Arthur Brown says, "I am the god of hellfire!" which they played during the traffic report any time there was a vehicular fire.

A rather incendiary-loving blast mage in my game uses this as her theme song.

It got some play on the radio in these parts back in the day.

Zardnaar

Legend
Last one for the night - Sisters of Mercy. I owned Floodland, and this was their biggest hit in the UK. A great example of terrible TERRIBLE lip-syncing.

I worked at a night club in the early 90's, and every Sunday night was all-ages Alternative/Goth night. Made terrible tips, but the music was good. This one was in heavy rotation...

I bought one of their albums 96 or 99 iirc. Kicked Patricia out but she was a fan flavour. Oops.

Radaceus

Adventurer
was gonna mention Art of Noise, but then i read the last page...
I saw Zebra and Fastway live as opening acts, both were awesome! and they were both part of any rockers repertoire in the 'cassette' tray back in the day.
I'll throw in The The for the montage here:

Radaceus

Adventurer
ok, something heavier, but these guys were great live also ( again dating myself ;p )

I dont think they ever got much radio play other than the above song

Remove ads