Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This was the AoN tune that got my attention, and still continues to get a lot of airplay in my mental radio station to this day. As I recall, this is also the video that got them attention, hitting #8.

Bonus: live version from 2004

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The late 1980s and 1990s were great for Industrial Rock/Metal. Ministry, NIN, Prong, Front 242, Killing Joke and others were reshaping music. And there were side projects like the aforementioned Lard, Pigface, 1000 Homo DJs, and so many more.

Some got a taste of mainstream attention, but it didn’t translate into big sales, like KMFDM:

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That same era spawned an unlikely industrial disco band called My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult. This wasn’t just some watered down version of the genre- they had been among the genre’s founding groups, but had taken a bizarre turn. Lidyia Lunch was a member. They worked with members of their label mates KMFDM & Ministry. Here’s the 2 main versions of their best-known song.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Peak Lard (to date. Jourgensen and Biafra keep threatening a new album about once a decade...)

Yeah the last time they said something about that was back in 2020, in the meantime Uncle Al has other side projects, like SMM... industrial cabaret lounge, so completely different than anything else he has done, and it went completely under the radar.

Art Waring

halozix.com
That same era spawned an unlikely industrial disco band called My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult. This wasn’t just some watered down version of the genre- they had been among the genre’s founding groups, but had taken a bizarre turn. Lidyia Lunch was a member. They worked with members of their label mates KMFDM & Ministry. Here’s the 2 main versions of their best-known song.

Yeah TKK is divine. My favorite albums have to be Confessions of the Knife, and I See Good Spirits, I See Bad Spirits. They are still active and making new albums too from time to time.

I got to see KMFDM live a few times, but not TKK. I also used to live near the Wax Trax record shops in CO, when they had multiple stores, one on each corner, with different genres in each shop. I would spend whole days there looking through music that I never would have discovered at that time, before music got onto the internet.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah TKK is divine. My favorite albums have to be Confessions of the Knife, and I See Good Spirits, I See Bad Spirits. They are still active and making new albums too from time to time.

I got to see KMFDM live a few times, but not TKK. I also used to live near the Wax Trax record shops in CO, when they had multiple stores, one on each corner, with different genres in each shop. I would spend whole days there looking through music that I never would have discovered at that time, before music got onto the internet.

KMFDMs gateway song.

I own Angst but couldn't find their other CDs over here.

Remove ads