• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bane - Bows and Arrows

glass

(he, him)
mvincent said:
It adds +2 to the enhancement bonus under certain circumstances. That seems like a bonus (using the conventional and D&D definition). Bonuses to bonuses have some precedence in D&D (i.e. amulet of natural armor).
It seems like in every debate here in Rules, someone always points to an example of a case where something is specifically noted as evidence that another case which lacks the note works the same way, when in fact is is the opposite.

glass.

Telas

Explorer
The topic's been drifting... As the OP, let me restate and update. Assume that we're using the Bane effect on the appropriate target.

A +1 Bane arrow fired from a +5 bow is +5 Bane.

Is a +5 arrow fired from a +1 Bane bow a +7 Bane arrow, or a +5 Bane arrow?

Someone on another list pinged WotC on it, and was told that it's a +7 Bane arrow by Trevor the Customer Service Rep. I don't know what water that holds, but it's what we got on it.

FWIW, I would have the it max at +5 Bane, and assume the bow normally fires a +3 Bane arrow. The +5 supercedes the +3, but retains the Bane quality (+2d6 damage). This is my houserule, not intended for application outside my table.

Telas (query/response follows)

Customer (Name Excised) 11/03/2006 11:44 AM
What would the result be if attacking a creature with the undead subtype with a +1 Bane Vs Undead Longbow with +5 Arrows? Would the bow's Bane Property superced the arrow thus producing +3 to hit/damage 1d8+3 +2d6 Damage? Or would this be +7 to hit/damage 1d8+7 +2d6 damage or how exactly should this be treated?

Response (Trevor K.) 11/03/2006 03:12 PM
Hey there Dale. In this situation the bane ability would be applied to the arrow and the attack roll made with the bow against undead. So it would be +7 to hit against undead and the damage would be 1d8+2d6+7. Have fun and good gaming!

Trevor
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 7am-6pm PST / 10am-9pm EST

Artoomis

First Post
Telas said:
...Someone on another list pinged WotC on it, and was told that it's a +7 Bane arrow by Trevor the Customer Service Rep. I don't know what water that holds, but it's what we got on it...

Actually, Trevor said it's +7 to hit against the Bane opponent, so it's +5 Bane.

Artoomis

First Post
I suggest you keep it simple:

+5 bow with +1 Bane Arrow = +5 Bane arrow which would be +7 to hit and +2d6 damage against the right creatures.

+1 Bane Bow with +5 arrow = +5 Bane arrow which would be +7 to hit and +2d6 damage against the right creatures.

Simple, eh?

Telas

Explorer
Artoomis said:
Actually, Trevor said it's +7 to hit against the Bane opponent, so it's +5 Bane.

Please check the assumption at the top... I'm referring to effective bonus here. Although I could have been clearer.

Telas

Artoomis

First Post
Telas said:
Please check the assumption at the top... I'm referring to effective bonus here. Although I could have been clearer.

Telas

I think you'll find it's easier to:

1. Talk about the total "to hit" bonus, when that's what you mean.

2. Keep the Bane quality seperate from the Enhancement bonus until the arrow is in the air - this makes it easy, really. It also makes sense - the bow/arrow does not know the creature is the target creature until it is hitting, the extra +2 can be thought of as extra pentrating power rather than accuracy.

Using my method is the easiest. It follows the rules, but makes the analysis be much more trivial.

mvincent

Explorer
Venator said:
If the current debate is whether or not an Outsider (lawful) Bane Longbow firing an Outsider (evil) Bane Arrow deals an additional 4d6 i think the answer is yes.
I don't beleive that is the current debate, as damage normally stacks. The current issue is whether the bonuses (or additions, increases, etc.) to hit stack.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Telas said:
Is a +5 arrow fired from a +1 Bane bow a +7 Bane arrow, or a +5 Bane arrow?

Someone on another list pinged WotC on it, and was told that it's a +7 Bane arrow by Trevor the Customer Service Rep. I don't know what water that holds, but it's what we got on it.

If you mean an effective +5 Bane arrow, yielding a +7 effective enhancement bonus, I agree completely.

A +1 Bane arrow fired from a +5 bow is +5 Bane.

That, I disagree with.

-Hyp.

erple2

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
That, I disagree with.
-Hyp.

(in relation to a +5 Bow firing a +1 Bane Arrow)

I fail to see the difference...

I think that Artoomis got it best. The Bane quality should be separate from the Enhancement quality - A +5 bow firing a +1 Bane arrow results in a projectile that's +5 Bane. Similarly, a +1 Bane bow firing a +5 Arro also results in a +5 Bane projectile. Against the right target, the net effect is that it's a +5 (+2 if right target from Bane) to hit, and +5 (+2 +2D6 if right target from Bane) to damage. Then, I'd also have to rule that a:
+1 Evil outsider Bane Lawful Outsider Bane weapon is +5 to hit and +5 + 4D6 to damage against a Devil.

Huh...

I wonder if some of the confusion is when people say something is a +5 Bane or +7 Bane. There are no non-epic +7 Bane weapons (as a +7 bonus requires Epic Weapons). A weapon can be up to a +5 bonus, and can have Bane attatched to it, for at most a +5 Bane Weapon. Against the favored foe, the Bane property kicks in, granting the weapon a +7 to hit and deals +7 + 2D6 damage. Is there lack of wording precision? (Geez, I should have been a lawyer....)

Last edited:

Remove ads