• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Barbarian preview!

Melkor

Explorer
I now want to play Grizzly Adams, Barbarian.

Or maybe the Dr. Pepper dude.

diet-dr-pepper-commercial-mountain-manthe-making-of-dr-pepper-tens----mountain-man----ad---the-d.png

Sacrosanct

Legend
I know, I'm just kidding around. Are you actually offended by this horse-play?

Offended? Of course not. But surprised that so many people think apparently barbarian = Conan, when Fafhrd's been around for what? 70 years now? And fits the barbarian mold pretty much perfectly. Anyone who's read those stories knows he was just as much of a badass as Conan. So that's why here, with this illustration that looks just like Fafhrd, people are saying it's not a "real" barbarian.

The problem here is the definition of the word "barbarian" in D&D as it relates to the accompanying art, which had always been essentially Conan or even more savage and animalistic figures. Whether Vikings would even qualify as barbarians in D&D is an open question, given they were a highly advanced culture -- warlike, yes, but not wild or backward.

In the end, I blame the Greeks.

I would caution using D&D as a reference to what Fafhrd was like. I'd suggest reading the books, because his background is pretty much the stereotype "giant wild animalistic warrior from the great north who loves the ladies and killing things"

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Conan. Great books. But why stereotype?

And yes, sexist crap like that pic should indeed end the thread, lol.

Remove ads