Barbarian-Rogue Multiclass?

iwatt said:
Anybody have ideas for possible feats and prestige Classes for a Barbarian-Rogue. It's for a player in my campaign. The PC is basically a tomb raider from the Uthgardt tribes (FR). His rage helps him be more effective in melee.

His current build is Brb2/Rogue 9. he's human and his feats are: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Elusive Traget and Extra Rage. The player rolled a natural 18 which he put into Intelligence. He's the smartest barbarian EVAR!!.

I'd like to keep it within WOTC products.
Combat Expertise (unfortunately useless during Rage, except as a Prerequisite), Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack come to mind.
It would be possible to multiclass a bit in Fighter (without XP penalty), to get a few bonus feats for that.

Otherwise, I would simply stay on course and use the classes he already has, but that's mostly because I don't know that many good Tomb Raider classes.
Maybe Thief Acrobat or Extreme Explorer would be good options.

iwatt

First Post
Nyeshet said:
Also, the poster's class selection thus far has not used any casting classes, so suddenly thrusting one into the mix would quite change the feel of the PC.

Yup. The player isn't really much into spellcasters (never seen him play one before).

Combat Expertise (unfortunately useless during Rage, except as a Prerequisite), Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack come to mind.

Combat exeprtise isn't useable during a rage? BTW, I've described his rage as his abilty to use his stupendous intelligence to empower himself phisically. The player seemed to like that little detail. :)

about the 18 Int: that is just screaming Duelist to me. Thing is, the player has invested heavily in his mithral chainshirt of shadows, so going armorless would probably seem to expensive right now.

Nightsong Enforcerer: sneak attack progression, bonuses to various skills, grants bonuses to some skills to allies within 30 ft, gains +20 to listen / spot vs allies w/n 60 ft, etc. This actually sounds like it might aid you most, but while it is a good add upon for a rogue - particularly a tomb raider, it does nothing for your barbarian levels. On the other hand, it does have better BAB than the Nightsong Infiltrator (which gets a few more bonuses vs stealth and traps)

This is a good diea. I never took a good look at it because I always felt it was too organization/dependant. But maybe I can remove the flavor. :D

I'll email the kid (at my age, everybopdy is a kid ;) ) and tell him about the CAdv PrC suggestions.

Any other cool feats I've missed he could use? I've always felt that Hamstring coupled with Spring attack was particularly nasty.

rowport

First Post
iwatt-

Regarding Feats, he should check out the PHBII if available (I am not sure about shipping schedules in Chile!) There are several that work *very* well with this type of character, like Acrobatic Strike, Bounding Assault, Combat Acrobat, Combat Tactician, and Cunning Evasion.

Some of them have very high BAB requirements, so he may need to shift his class level ratio more to Barbarian than just Rogue to qualify for them.

iwatt

First Post
rowport said:
(I am not sure about shipping schedules in Chile!)
:lol:

For some strange reason, the most popular RPG in Chile isn't D&D but World Of Darkness. And it been a country with only 15 million spanish speaking people, I don't see the PHBII showing up soon.* ;) Also, I'm deeply comitted to running Iron Heroes in the future, so I'm curtailing buying anything not consistent with that, since it won't get much use.

I'm going up to Philadelphia on July to visit my sister, so I might look at it then.

* I love my country, but it does have some idiotic tax laws. Whenever I bring in more than $50 in books or DVDs, I get slapped with this huge tax and extra shipping and handling costs. Also, what should arrive in 2 weeks takes over a month because of additional custom procedures. :mad:

Whimsical

Explorer
If you ever want to build a improved tripping barbarian, use the wolf totoem variant barbarian. Since you get Improved Trip as a class feature, it doesn't rely on Combat Expertise.

In my game, a player picked up a level of barbarian with the whirling frenzy variant class ability. He wanted his character to be able to use combat expertise with his frenzy. I decided that his character could use the combat expertise tree of feats while in frenzy, but could not use the power attack tree of feats while in frenzy. That seemed to balance this variant class ability to my satisfaction, as it seemed a bit more powerful than regular rage.

Nyaricus

First Post
DervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervishDervish

I can't say it enough! Take WF: any melee slashing weapon and Combat Expertise, Perform: Dance 3 ranks and another 3 into tumble and you, sirrah, will have a whirling maelstrom of death on your hands. With +15 movement (by 10th), good ref and will(!) saves, full BAB, 4+Int skills points/level, a whole bunch of other amazing abilities and an AC bonus which stacks when wearing light armour you won't get tired of this soon.

2 levels of fighter could cinch those needed feats and the Xclass skills (with your amazing Int) and very doably in a couple levels (if you can avoid XP penalties).

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
Nyaricus said:
2 levels of fighter could cinch those needed feats and the Xclass skills (with your amazing Int) and very doably in a couple levels (if you can avoid XP penalties).

This isn't my PC. It's one of my players. The PC already exists, and is an 18Int rogue9/brb 2

Remove ads