Barbarian-Rogue Multiclass?

Land Outcast

Explorer
iwatt said:
Sejs said:
Dread Commando. More sneakin', more fightin'. Seems right up his alley.

Heroes of battle?

and is also in the WoTC site, as a sneak peek to HoB. I can't find it now in the "Previews section", but I can ascertain it is somewhere there; I don't own the book but I remember the class from the site so it sure is there.

Me,
who also suffers from delays in book purchases

Nyaricus

First Post
iwatt said:
This isn't my PC. It's one of my players. The PC already exists, and is an 18Int rogue9/brb 2
Sorry, I meant to word it like that, but it just came out like it was your character :p

So, is there any Dervish love? Can he avoid XP penalty?

Nyeshet

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Unless he is a human, half-elf, or halfling, he will take an XP penalty, and even if he is one of those three he will take a penalty after more than three levels of Dervish unless he also increases his Barbarian levels with his Dervish ones. That would eventually result in Rog 9 / Dervish 6 / Bbn 5. I'm not sure what type of character that would make, although he would be quite dangerous in a fight, I admit. Not much of a tomb raider, though, unless he's the one that takes on the guards, allowing the others to do the actual raiding and treasure finding / gathering.

Nyaricus

First Post
Nyeshet said:
Unless he is a human, half-elf, or halfling, he will take an XP penalty, and even if he is one of those three he will take a penalty after more than three levels of Dervish unless he also increases his Barbarian levels with his Dervish ones. That would eventually result in Rog 9 / Dervish 6 / Bbn 5. I'm not sure what type of character that would make, although he would be quite dangerous in a fight, I admit. Not much of a tomb raider, though, unless he's the one that takes on the guards, allowing the others to do the actual raiding and treasure finding / gathering.
Dervish is a PrC (thus no XP penalty) - I was talking about the fighter leves he should probably take before it if he wants to get in faster. As for tomb raiding, I was going a different route, focusing on his combat tactics and not his uber-skills.

Also Dervish might not be doing him justice for skills :\

Nyeshet

First Post
Ah, in my haste I had forgotten that bit (about Dervish being a PrC). Perhaps I was thinking of the Scout. I had almost suggested that earlier, actually, until I recalled he had asked about PrCs.

However, the original post remains true. In order not to take a PrC penalty he must either be a race that discounts the highest level class (Human or Half-Elf) or he must have Rogue as his favored class (Halfling). Otherwise, no matter what class he takes, he will experience an XP penalty. However, even if he is Halfling, Half-elf, or Human, he will experience an XP penalty if he takes more than 3 levels in any class other than Rogue or Barbarian, as such would place his new class and his Barbarian class more than one level apart. So, if he needed to take four levels of fighter, then he would encur the XP penalty, but not if he needed only 1-3 levels - presuming he is Human, Half-elf, or Halfling, of course.

You are right about the skill hit, however. As a tombraider skills are quite important, so Fighter would perhaps not be the best route to Dervish.

All he needs to become a Dervish at this point is a few ranks in Perform Dance (which as a Rogue he can take with ease) and two feats: Combat Expertise and Weapon Focus (any slashing). As his next level is 12th, all he would need to do is either take a level of Fighter or take a level of Rogue and use his first Rogue Special for a bonus feat. Combat Expertise might even fit the feel of the character, actually, as he has a high Int. Weapon Focus would be a bit of a loss, as it doesn't really seem to fit his character, but considering the nature of the Dervish, perhaps the GM would allow a substitution of Spring Attack? This would reduce the benefit of Dervish 3 unless the GM would allow the typical Spring Attack feat gained then to be replaced with Improved Spring Attack (ie: Bounding Assault). Another option for the second feat is Weapon Finesse, as the Dervish can use a light slashing weapon. So might Combat Reflexes, for that matter, considering the feel of the Dervish PrC.

iwatt

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Sorry, I meant to word it like that, but it just came out like it was your character :p

No Problem. ;)

Personally I love the Dervish, but this player is all about the skill points. He isn't even that commited to the Sneak Attack :confused: Although I expect this to change this weekend when he get's to coup de grace a couple of sleeping Werewolf giants. With his Maul. :D

Sorry, I forgot to mention that he likes to use large bludgeoning weapons with a x3 critical. ;)

With that 18 int, he could even take wizard levels for some extra goodness (shield, exp retreat, etc...) but I doubt it he'll go for a caster.

Land Outcast said:
and is also in the WoTC site, as a sneak peek to HoB. I can't find it now in the "Previews section", but I can ascertain it is somewhere there; I don't own the book but I remember the class from the site so it sure is there.

you mean this link ;)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6

BTW. I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'm not sure about introducing a needlessly complicated ability like sudden strike. From what I can gather it's just like SA, but not useable when flanked. Think I'll just HR that into regular SA.

Thanx

Last edited:

Remove ads