Barbie v. Oppenheimer: YOU DECIDE

Which Movie Will You See In Theaters?

• 1. Barbie. I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie World.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • 2. Oppenheimer. Now I am become Nolan, the destroyer of box office.

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • 3. Barbieheimer. Why not both?

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • 4. Neither. I only watch Top Gun: Maverick in theaters. Blessed be the Cruise.

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Poll closed .

Zardnaar

Legend
That's asinine. It's a movie based on a girl's toy. WTF were they expecting, Conan the Barbarian?

Yup over half the population is female who care if tgey fet a movie auned at them. It's a clever movie as well, know your target demographic etc.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Saw Barbie. Loved it! Such a good movie. Very likely will be a franchise now. Audience was INTO it. Lots of laughs and applause and even some tears. BIG laugh at the joke making fun of Snyder-cut obsessed fans.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The manosphere melting down over Barbie being a feminist movie is possibly the best marketing for the film yet.

What, exactly, did they think it was going to be?
I mean yes it has a feminist message but that's definitely not all it's about. It's actually a pretty deep movie and has something interesting to say about male roles as well. It's not just bashing men, and it's not just being kind to women either.

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean yes it has a feminist message but that's definitely not all it's about. It's actually a pretty deep movie and has something interesting to say about male roles as well. It's not just bashing men, and it's not just being kind to women either.

Yeah that was my take as well. Feminist movie that mocks feminism here and there.

Mocked men as well but wasn't really trying to elevate women over men. Barbie and Ken land were both dystopian in a way.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The political commentators in question are not known for their ability to understand nuance.

Stalker0

Legend
Saw the double feature. My quick and dirty:

1) Oppenheimer is the better crafted movie, but it’s a “standard” movie. It didn’t do anything I didn’t expect, but it does it well.

2) Barbie is a bit of a mess at times, but it’s original and creative, in a world of remakes it feels fresh and will likely be one remembered

Ondath

Hero
Did the double feature as well. I have some political opinions about the Barbie movie but this isn't the avenue for them (I just wish Americans thought there were political options besides going to the polls). Oppenheimer was great, cinematographically speaking it blows you away (heh), and I think Nolan presented the story really well, even though it waffles on what it wants to say about Oppenheimer a bit.

I have to say, I missed going to the movies as an event with friends, and not just the Disney tax we have to pay to see a B-list superhero go "Hey y'all, I'm Blorbo" at the end credits scene.

damiller

Adventurer
Just saw Barbie last night.

Now I want to see Oppenheimer.

BUT I think that Barbie will be the heavier movie. Regardless of how much plutonium Oppenheimer used.

Ondath

Hero
Just saw Barbie last night.

Now I want to see Oppenheimer.

BUT I think that Barbie will be the heavier movie. Regardless of how much plutonium Oppenheimer used.
I think Barbie was a great movie, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't compare to Oppenheimer in terms of the heaviness in any simple way.

Remove ads