• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbie v. Oppenheimer: YOU DECIDE

Which Movie Will You See In Theaters?

• 1. Barbie. I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie World.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • 2. Oppenheimer. Now I am become Nolan, the destroyer of box office.

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • 3. Barbieheimer. Why not both?

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • 4. Neither. I only watch Top Gun: Maverick in theaters. Blessed be the Cruise.

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Poll closed .

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd honestly suggest giving Barbie a chance and try to look at it without prejudice. Greta Gerwig is a genuinely good director who does not do vapid, consumer culture films, and she's clearly going to deconstruct what Barbie means and use all the saccharine coating to flip the script. We might be surprised!

This interesting review. More satire apparently.

Satire PG13.

Oppenheimer here got rated an M which means no age restriction basically.

Orius

Legend
I'd honestly suggest giving Barbie a chance and try to look at it without prejudice. Greta Gerwig is a genuinely good director who does not do vapid, consumer culture films, and she's clearly going to deconstruct what Barbie means and use all the saccharine coating to flip the script. We might be surprised!

Yeah, I am definitely not the audience for Barbie.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Humerously enough, one of these films has sparked discourse concerning appropriate ages in relationships, and the other has sparked controversy in southeast Asia due to still-debated 1940's geopolitics, and which one is which is not the one you'd immediately pick.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oppenheimer has been given a "hard" R, due to the full frontal nudity. Apparently, there is a lot of Cillian Murphy's peaky blinder in full 70-mm IMAX glory.

Here tgat just means it's recommended for mature audiences.

Up to the viewer to determine that.

My school had full colour photos of Nagasaki/ Hiroshima age 10 in 1989.

R_J_K75

Legend
I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet, please don't ruin the ending for me...Ehhh, I'm pulling your leg, that's like saying I don't know how the Titanic or the Hindenburg ended up. If you ever get the chance look up the Titanics Sister Ship which I believe was the RMS Olympic. That beast went on to down ships in WW2, took out a pair of Long Islanders on a dock when they were trying to christen another ship, quite the menace of the Seas I tell you, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli (George Costanza).

Well I had to make the great decision last night. I was off to the cinema because it was was hot and I have a subscription pass I'm trying to get the most out of for the last week it will be active. I actually went out thinking both movies weren't out for another day and that I was going to see Indiana Jones again. But, checking my phone as I got in the car, I learned that not only was it, in fact, Barbieheimer eve, but that both had showings starting at 8pm, right when I would arrive. I had never thought the great decision would confront me this bluntly.

En route, I Melt with You by Modern English came on the radio. My initial thought was, it's appropriate music to go see something light and poppy... but just as I was thinking "okay, it's a Barbie night" I remembered the songwriters' claim that the song is actually about dying in a nuclear holocaust... which obviously is a more appropriate going-to-see-Oppenheimer musical theme, but... well even if the song is about that (the lyrics can support that reading) it's clearly taking the form of romantic pop songs not about that. Inconclusive.

Upon arriving at the theater I had decided on Oppenheimer simply because there are fewer showings of the longer movie and I happened to be arriving right on time for one, but then I noticed that the multiplex in general was packed, and whereas a comedy is improved by a packed house, drama I'd rather not deal with that scene. So Barbie it was.

And yes, times did line up to make the Barbieheimer double feature option feasible, but double features were a thing in an era when movies ran shorter. I wasn't going to do a 5 hour movie marathon and get home at 1:30 in the morning just for the meme's sake. So... Oppenheimer next week.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well I had to make the great decision last night. I was off to the cinema because it was was hot and I have a subscription pass I'm trying to get the most out of for the last week it will be active. I actually went out thinking both movies weren't out for another day and that I was going to see Indiana Jones again. But, checking my phone as I got in the car, I learned that not only was it, in fact, Barbieheimer eve, but that both had showings starting at 8pm, right when I would arrive. I had never thought the great decision would confront me this bluntly.

En route, I Melt with You by Modern English came on the radio. My initial thought was, it's appropriate music to go see something light and poppy... but just as I was thinking "okay, it's a Barbie night" I remembered the songwriters' claim that the song is actually about dying in a nuclear holocaust... which obviously is a more appropriate going-to-see-Oppenheimer musical theme, but... well even if the song is about that (the lyrics can support that reading) it's clearly taking the form of romantic pop songs not about that. Inconclusive.

Upon arriving at the theater I had decided on Oppenheimer simply because there are fewer showings of the longer movie and I happened to be arriving right on time for one, but then I noticed that the multiplex in general was packed, and whereas a comedy is improved by a packed house, drama I'd rather not deal with that scene. So Barbie it was.

And yes, times did line up to make the Barbieheimer double feature option feasible, but double features were a thing in an era when movies ran shorter. I wasn't going to do a 5 hour movie marathon and get home at 1:30 in the morning just for the meme's sake. So... Oppenheimer next week.

Looks like gangbusters. Barbie had an impressive then I found out it was only domestic not total.

Remove ads