• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bard - Strength/Tank build

KippleSnacks

First Post
Made my first Adventure League character as a half-orc bard with a devotion to Tyr, now I'm trying to semi-optimize the idea as well as gather some ideas for a Str based bard as I have not seen many guides on it. Below is the level 20 character, though I am functionally working with a 3rd level character and can only speculate on options/effectiveness at higher levels.

Cleric(war) 1/Bard of Valor 19
Half-Orc
lv 1 stats(27 point buy): 17/8/16/8/8/15

Equipment: Throwing melee weapons, plate mail, shield, long sword.

If I understand leveling correctly, I will get feat/stats at level 5, 9, 13, 17, and 20 due to one level of cleric.
Level 5: +1 st/+1 cha
Level 9: Resilient(con)
Level 13: Lucky
Level 17: +2 con
Level 20: +2 str

Lv 20 stats: 20/8/19/8/8/16

End goal: Pre-combat buff while tanking, then post-combat healing. Meant to be versatile and able to change focus in the middle of combat. Can make use of smite spells and attack on the same turn after level 14.

Between lucky and Relentless Endurance, I should be able to deal with failed saving throws sufficiently. Concentration checks should be easy enough early on, but by the time I start making many of them, I will get resilient.

Notable skills: Athletics and Intimidation are going to be my double prof skills

Ideas to work in: Shieldmaster would give me some more things to do with bonus actions and help with battlefield control, as well as my abysmal dex save. My high athletics would be awesome for Grappler, though am unsure if going that route is prudent (though buff -> incapacitate largest threat would provide good utility I think) as it does not mesh with shields immediately.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Take the wars caster feat, its good all by itself and it gets funny with dissonant whispers. you can probably fit in 3 buff stats and 2 feats so your other feat would be shield master which leans towards buffing your strength over charisma. I would play a human so you can take warcaster at level 1 and shieldmaster at 4 that would give you a lot of time to do your thing as a bard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads