D&D 5E Bardic Lore: A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide

Zardnaar

Legend
I'll hopefully get some more up on spells in the weekend an higher level magical secrets.

After that look at the EEPG.

Any interest in a valor bard guide? I wad also thinking about a bladelock.

moardie

First Post
I'll hopefully get some more up on spells in the weekend an higher level magical secrets.

After that look at the EEPG.

Any interest in a valor bard guide? I wad also thinking about a bladelock.
I personally have 0 interest in the valor bard. I like the concept, but I feel that lore bard is the stronger option. I would rather have a strong melee than a valor bard in my party. That is unless you can prove me wrong with some math showing that valor can do competitive damage compared to a barbarian/paladin/other melee.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I personally have 0 interest in the valor bard. I like the concept, but I feel that lore bard is the stronger option. I would rather have a strong melee than a valor bard in my party. That is unless you can prove me wrong with some math showing that valor can do competitive damage compared to a barbarian/paladin/other melee.
It can certainly keep up with the Ranger. Extra Attack a level later, high end spells 10 earlier, Bardic stuff to replace Rangery stuff.

moardie

First Post
It can certainly keep up with the Ranger. Extra Attack a level later, high end spells 10 earlier, Bardic stuff to replace Rangery stuff.
I was thinking of a melee bard. I didn't think that bards were proficient with bows. I guess just not the longbow. That would be interesting to try.

Zardnaar

Legend
Melee bard with fighter level using spells like greater invisability and foresight can come close. They lack a bit though in sheer damage but have a bit morr control and accuracy.

Ranged valor bard is the better way to go if single classed.

Tanaka Chris

First Post
Hmmm, would Crusader's Mantle be a good pick for Magical Secrets?
Seems with all the other classes getting Extra Attacks, Pets, Summons or whatever, the damage potential racks up pretty high?

Also, Swift Quiver is a touched based spell and cast on a Quiver...
Can it be used on an Ally's Quiver? A sharpshooter Hunter with 4 attacks seems somewhat appealing.

Last edited:

For Adventure’s Leage, a purely healing/utility bard that assumes at least 2-3 melee in the party. I could use some help choosing spells and some tweaking with the build. I am still thinking about the half elf instead.

Race: Human (Variant)
Background: Entertainer
Alignment: LN
Life Cleric 1 Lore Bard 19 (Start with Cleric for Wis saves)
Armor: Chain mail (Lv. 1) -> Plate (as soon as can afford it)+Shield

Point buy array: 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8

Attributes and feats:
Lv. 1: STR 8, DEX 8, CON 15, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 16, Inspiring Leader
Lv. 4: STR 8, DEX 8, CON 15, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 18, Inspiring Leader
Lv. 8: STR 8, DEX 8, CON 15, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 20, Inspiring Leader
Lv. 12: STR 8, DEX 8, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16, Inspiring Leader, Resilient (CON)
Lv. 16: STR 8, DEX 8, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 20, Inspiring Leader, Resilient (CON)
Lv. 19: STR 8, DEX 8, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 20, CHA 20, Shield Master, Resilient (CON) (I was thinking of a feat instead of the 20 WIS)

Magical Secrets is where I need help choosing my last 2.
So far I have
Goodberry
Aura of Vitality
Counterspell
Circle of Power (which requires a concentration, I don’t know why it says in the guide that it doesn’t. Was there an errata?)
Magic Jar
Foresight
Wish

Wis save spells are really great with this build.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anything is appreciated.

If you're getting Magic Jar you'll want access to Death Ward too, either via cleric or your own Magical Secrets.

Aurick

First Post
I think you vastly over-value Hex. The range requirement leash is fairly prohibitive in practice, especially with a DM who is aware of it and takes advantage.

You should also really think about adding Counterspell to your magical secret recommendations. It's one of the best spells a Bard can keep in her back pocket. Wall of Force is another high quality pick up depending on if you plan to get Forcecage or not. 100 square feet of force wall arranged however you like has a ton of utility use, and using it as a 20ft diameter force orb to section off the the main encounter threat with no save while you pick off it's minions is right up there with forcecage in brokenness.

mellored

Legend
Valor's biggest feature is medium armor + shields. Basically medium armor mastery. You could reasonably ignore the weapons and just take the +4/5 AC. It's reasonably on par with cutting words Valor still hand out the same number of inspiration dice.

There's many buff spells that can be applied to attacks. Like ensnaring strike, flight, greater invisibility, haste, paladin smites or foresight.
Also, shield master + expertise athletics + multi-attack + grapple = prone + held. You can get enlarge via magic secrets so you can hold down bigger creatures too.

The level 14 is also decent. A few extra attacks from a handbow is helpful even with 14 dex.

Also, shillelagh (+ polearm master) = use Cha to attack. Reduces MAD a lot.

And i'll just casually drop this link to my bard guide as i leave....
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468629-A-party-without-music-is-lame-A-Bard-Guide

Last edited:

Remove ads