D&D 5E Bardic Lore: A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Been kinda busy atm. Pulling a 14 hour day today for example. When I am not busy I have other addictions.

Understood. Don't feel bad, we all know it's a time suck to write these things. Just letting you know it's appreciated and liked, if you ever do get the inclination again.

I am playing a Bard right now in our Adventurers League game, and loving it, and using this guide. It will be a long time before he gets to a level where your guide runs out of advice...

Zardnaar

Legend
Cheers Mistwell my players currently have a valor bard in action and after seeing my one suck a bit they have tweaked it basically doing the fighter level dip thing with it. Lore Bard would be one of my favorite classes.

Mistwell

Cheers Mistwell my players currently have a valor bard in action and after seeing my one suck a bit they have tweaked it basically doing the fighter level dip thing with it. Lore Bard would be one of my favorite classes.

Do you mind briefly summarizing how they did it? I am still considering Valor Bard too, and I have time to be able to change my mind (basically once I hit 5th level I cannot change, but I am free to change anything before then).

Zardnaar

Legend
On my phone but Fighter 1 valor bard xyz shield master and warcaster feat. Expertise on athletics checks. Player also rolled his stats in front od me 11 13 13 13 15 17 for his stats.

Zardnaar

Legend
Added level 6 and most of level 5 spells with a smattering of higher level spells and some basic bard build suggested along with multiclass builds I have found online or have seen in game. Ideally I want to bput a bit more effort into the higher level spell slots and include some more suggested spells to steal.

Mistwell

On my phone but Fighter 1 valor bard xyz shield master and warcaster feat. Expertise on athletics checks. Player also rolled his stats in front od me 11 13 13 13 15 17 for his stats.

So, does he grapple a lot? Why did he go Fighter 1, so he could dump Dex and wear heavy armor? What fighting style did he take?

Zardnaar

Legend
So, does he grapple a lot? Why did he go Fighter 1, so he could dump Dex and wear heavy armor? What fighting style did he take?

Shield master feat. He took the duellist style for+2 damage (bards deal low damage) expertise in athletics for knocking them prone (and enhance ability for advantage), dex 10 or so (less MAD), and proficiency in con saves.

Mistwell

Shield master feat. He took the duellist style for+2 damage (bards deal low damage) expertise in athletics for knocking them prone (and enhance ability for advantage), dex 10 or so (less MAD), and proficiency in con saves.

Does knocking people prone really do much without grapple? I mean, they can just get right back up on their turn, which might well be right after you knock them down...

Does knocking people prone really do much without grapple? I mean, they can just get right back up on their turn, which might well be right after you knock them down...

Presumably, if using standard initiative rules, he chooses targets who have already taken their turn since the last time his buddies went. That way the buddies are guaranteed he can't get up in time.

I view gameable predictability as a failing of standard initiative but some people like it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Remove ads