Barrow of the Forgotten King- NOW WITH PLAYTEST

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Well, I’m here at work looking at Barrow of the Forgotten King, the new WotC module that’s 64 pages, part 1 of a 3-part series, and with a $19.95 cover price.

This isn’t a review, just some straightforward observations injected with opinion. ;)

The inside cover opens up into a really nice and clear full-color dungeon map of the area in question. The inside layout of the module is also really nice, many of the shaded elements previously complained about have been eliminated or ‘lightened up’ making the text easier to read.

The module is essentially 32 pages with 32 pages of close-ups, that ‘new’ encounter format WotC’s been touting since mid 2006 and debuted in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Basically, the module is presented in a classic manner in the beginning, then each room is ‘blown up’ to a 2-page spread with all relevant tactical features, description, close-up map, and monster and trap stat blocks. I don’t mind this because I had a chance to use this format before and I actually like it. I know not everyone is a fan but I appreciate the details they can cram in here.

The module says characters will be 4th or 5th level by the end. It specifically states how you should be able to get through 4-5 encounters per 4-hour session of play, and there are nearly 25 encounters in this module. So the mystery group they write to would take 4 to 5 sessions to complete it, meaning a level gain every 2 sessions or so. My players and I somehow play the game much quicker than this, not to mention the 6-hour sessions we have, so I guess it’s our fault this seems quick. :)

In a nutshell, the party goes to a town (fairly developed with town stats and NPCs and roleplaying) gets a job to go into the dungeon, and solve the dilemma. Three things stand out: the very wide variety of interesting monsters they worked in here (meaning NO repeating/boring encounters), the cool locations to fight them, and even a weapon of legacy to the story.

Do I consider it money well spent? Sure. I appreciate the new encounter format, the variety of monsters that are not standard SRD fare, and the attention to making each encounter something memorable, not some 'stock fight'.

There is no cliffhanger, and you easily don’t need the others in the series coming in the next few months to use this by itself. Anyway, this was gleaned from lunchtime reading. I could answer questions if anyone has any.

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is there sufficient info to use the weapon of legacy if one does not own the book of the same name?

Is the majority of the adventure inside the barrow?

What sorts of monsters are inside the barrow?

Any new spells/monsters/magic items/other crunch?

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Is there sufficient info to use the weapon of legacy if one does not own the book of the same name?

Yes, a half-page sidebar detailing everything one needs to use the WoL as-is.

Is the majority of the adventure inside the barrow?

95%, yes.

What sorts of monsters are inside the barrow?

Highlight to view (spoiler content):

Worgs, skeletal archers, clockwork menders, ogre zombies, flotsam ooze, runehounds, various leveled varags, water weird, wererat hobgoblins, lurking strangler, stygian leeches, a variety of summoned monster stats (real handy), custom-designed combat constructs, fossergrim, tomb spider, plague walker, huecuva, yuan-ti, nagatha and a custom-designed BBEG.

Any new spells/monsters/magic items/other crunch?

No, except from the weapon of legacy and many custom-tweaked monsters, no new spells or feats or anything like that.

-DM Jeff

Gold Roger

First Post
Sounds decent. What hooks are presented, just "there's a barrow with bad thinks in it-kill them and take their stuff" or some more interesting options?

The same for story elements.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Gold Roger said:
Sounds decent. What hooks are presented, just "there's a barrow with bad thinks in it-kill them and take their stuff" or some more interesting options? The same for story elements.

The town in question has a graveyard that has a long and glorious tradition they are proud of and the town is sleepy and quiet. Mourners went up a few days back and vanished, and the party is hired to investigate this bizarre irregularity. The beginning encounters in the dungeon are real mysteries as the PCs slowly discover this isn’t some “necromancer makes undead just to be evil” ploy. In fact there’s no necromancer at all, and just a few undead. I didn’t even list all the monsters above, not to mention the few with class levels like rogue, cleric, fighter, scout and sorcerer.

Apart from that there’s a lot of violence and mayhem as the PCs kill stuff and try to figure out what’s going on down there, something that should easily intrigue inquisitive or curious PCs. There are a handful of encounters with roleplaying notes, but murder of the PCs is on most of the inhabitant’s minds.

-DM Jeff

Nikroecyst

First Post
I was thinking of picking it up keeping in mind im poor and whatever modules i do pick up I have to use reguardless of whther they are bad or not. But now Im definetly sold. What first drew me in was that its a three part sold in seperate modules. If the group happens to finish the first one before the second once comes out I can add some neat side stories and events. Uses a module with room for personal touches.
. . . . . now I just need to find 20 bucks. I wonder whats between the couch cusions???

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Nikroecyst said:
. . . . . now I just need to find 20 bucks. I wonder whats between the couch cusions???

It's $13.57 US on Amazon. Of course there's shipping charges. But free shipping for orders over $20. Hmm, OK, I wonder whats between the couch cusions? :eek:

-DM Jeff

Gold Roger

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
The town in question has a graveyard that has a long and glorious tradition they are proud of and the town is sleepy and quiet. Mourners went up a few days back and vanished, and the party is hired to investigate this bizarre irregularity. The beginning encounters in the dungeon are real mysteries as the PCs slowly discover this isn’t some “necromancer makes undead just to be evil” ploy. In fact there’s no necromancer at all, and just a few undead. I didn’t even list all the monsters above, not to mention the few with class levels like rogue, cleric, fighter, scout and sorcerer.

Apart from that there’s a lot of violence and mayhem as the PCs kill stuff and try to figure out what’s going on down there, something that should easily intrigue inquisitive or curious PCs. There are a handful of encounters with roleplaying notes, but murder of the PCs is on most of the inhabitant’s minds.

-DM Jeff

That actually sounds pretty good.

Remove ads