Barrow of the Forgotten King

What do you think of Barrow of the Forgotten King?

• I don't have it, and I don't plan to buy it.

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • I don't have it, I planned to buy it, but I'm not so sure now.

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • I don't have it and I didn't plan to buy it, but I may now.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't have it, but I plan to buy it.

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I have it, and I wish I hadn't bought it.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have it, and I think it's more bad than good.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have it, and I'm not sure if it's good or not.

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • I have it, and I think it's more good than bad.

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • I have it, and I really like it.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.5%

Imruphel

First Post
Sir Elton said:
(snip) I'm into Yaun-ti at the moment. GIVE ME MORE YAUN-TI!!

Yaun? Nope, yuan.

Have to agree with you. Yuan-ti are close to being my favourite monsters and I also wish there were more products featuring them. I would love to see an updated version of the 1E module, I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, that introduced them. Here's hoping the final adventure is better than Barrow.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I buy Dungeon every month and already have more adventures than I'll ever get to play so I'm not bothering with this one. Opinions on ENWorld have been mixed but it's not had the almost universal positive feedback that Red Hand of Doom had which led me to buy it.

I'll be picking up the Expedition to XXX series though. As an old gamer, I like revisiting classic dungeons.

Cheers

Richard

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I voted "I don't have it, but I plan to buy it. "

Have to admit I've been less than impressed by some of the comments/reviews I've read - but I've got it on order through Amazon so I'll give it the benefit of teh doubt for now.

delericho

Legend
I bought it this afternoon. Thus far, it looks fun. I do kinda wish they'd put "DD1" in a little circle on the top left of the front cover, though.

Gold Roger

First Post
I don't have it, but plan on buying it.

It sounds like a good module, but not so much like a good adventure. That's perfect for me, since I don't want a ready made adventure, I want a module that I can work into an adventure of my own.

Linearity is ok, I can add passages of my own.

A vanilla plot hook means I can work in my own hooks.

Exciting encounters and a good overall structure are things I'm interested in buying, even if I completely change around some things. Barrow sounds like a good basis to work on.

Twowolves

Explorer
I thought it was way overpriced for what it was. The "delve" encounter format doesn't decrease the page turning, it increases it! It was weird to read because half of the important info on a room was in the front, the other half was in the back, and neither place was complete by itself.

The hook is awful! The characters come into town, grab a pint, and the mayor and captain of the guard litterally walk up, point a finger at the party and say something like "You there! I know you are adventureres, don't try to deny it!". If they do try to deny it, it doesn't matter, because they just continue on with the same pitch/hook.

The adventure uses too many different types of monsters for my tastes, and it pulls them from several different sourcebooks without telling you where they came from, much less what they even look like! And why? Why use some weird humanoid race as muscle, when their leader is a hobgoblin with character levels? Why not have them all be hobgoblins, for example?

Art was sparse, despite the hideous filler full-page player handout of a puzzle room.

The dungeon is beyond linear. It even has notes after two rooms saying "at this point, the party should be ready to level up. Let them make camp here and level up before continuing". And this is in an adventure where the premise is they are trying to CATCH UP to another dungeon delving party! I can see it now, "Fellows, I can tell we are getting close! Our prey must be only a few rooms ahead! Let's camp for the night and have at them in the morning." Huh??

There are role playing encounters in the dungeon, this is true, and is nice. But in reality, it's more like an option to get through the room without fighting instead of any real role playing. And since it's a linear crawl, it seemed to me to be more like "here are some skill checks to make instead of attack rolls to 'defeat' this room and advance". Blah.

For $20, I'm very disappointed. I'd rather have saved that money and put it towards one of the upcoming "Expedition to.." adventures. :(

Remove ads