• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic D&D: Did it hook you?

Did you start playing RPGs because of Basic D&D or a basic RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 112 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 19.4%

WayneLigon

Adventurer
My intro to D&D was the Original D&D set. I've never played Basic D&D;we'd already moved on to AD&D when it came out and that would have been a step backwards. In fact, I can't say as I personally know anyone who has played the Basic sets or Cyclopedia.

Felon

First Post
There was something about that red box that made it seem...unintimidating. To my ten-year-old mind, a hardcover book was this flat thing full of boring rules and charts and the occasional picture. A bright red box with a picture of a guy fighting a dragon--now that could contain just about anything! :cool:

The box made it good. Made it feel like I was buying a new board game full of dice and markers and cards and chits....well, at least the dice part was true!

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Although I picked up the blue box and all the early 1e books, my first "real" games were quick-and-dirty DnD one-shots. Char sheets were handwritten index cards, and no one needed to reference any books; the DM had jotted down everything we players needed to know, which thankfully wasn't much. The fact that (nearly) anything was possible in this kind of game blew my little 10-year-old mind.

balterkn

First Post
My father introduced me to gaming with AD&D1e in 3rd grade (8/9 years old?).

Our fist adventure was U1: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Still a favorite.

Jackelope King

First Post
I split the price of the 2E PHB with a friend and his brother. I've subsequently played Rules Cyclopedia with other groups. Then as now (with my tastes in gaming what they are), I've found RC to be wanting.

16868.jpg

Creamsteak

Explorer
I played CRPGs first, but my first table top game was the red box basic set. And honestly, I think that's a perfectly playable system still. There are times I really wish my players liked it as much as I did.

Remove ads