• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Bastion rules: every pub owner is at least 13th level

Imaro

Legend
Your observation speaks to my problem with the Bastion rules. Where are the rules for the run-of-the-mill pub? Will those be making the cut in 2024, or will the Bastion rules eat up all of the page count in the new DMG?

I really hope these Bastion rules don't end up consuming the entire page-count budget for PC bases-of-operation, because I don't see very many Bastion Pubs of Potion Making in fantasy literature. I do, however, see lots of run-of-the-mill pubs owned by adventurers. It would be nice to have ready-made rules for those, too.

The rules for a running a normal business are already in the 2014 DMG and are part of the downtime system... Is your problem with the Bastion rules that you believe WotC will remove the actual downtime rules and replace them with Bastions? Why do you think they would do that?

I've got to say, one complaint I have these rules is that they don't feel linked to the game world at all. They're just arbitrary 'player mechanics'. Like the facilities being unable to be bought but materialise onto your fort when you level up.

5e has always had this problem, but it's been doubled down on over its lifetime. Players are using such a different set of often arbitrary rules compared to the rest of the world.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
1e PHB page 22

"When a fighter obtains 9th level (Lord), he or she may opt to establish a freehold. This is done by building some type of castle and clearing the area in a radius of 20 to 50 miles around the stronghold, making it free from all sorts of hostile creatures. Whenever such a freehold is established and cleared, the fighter will:"

You can't opt to establish it prior to 9th level.
Since a stronghold has no intrinsic abilities in 1e (other than followers), and since anyone can build a castle given time and money, i figured it was a distinction without a difference. But fair enough, my bad.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Your observation speaks to my problem with the Bastion rules. Where are the rules for the run-of-the-mill pub? Will those be making the cut in 2024, or will the Bastion rules eat up all of the page count in the new DMG?

I really hope these Bastion rules don't end up consuming the entire page-count budget for PC bases-of-operation, because I don't see very many Bastion Pubs of Potion Making in fantasy literature. I do, however, see lots of run-of-the-mill pubs owned by adventurers. It would be nice to have ready-made rules for those, too.
I don't think you will see much in the way of "mundane" options, simply because 5E has been consistently moving away from game elements that are not steeped in magic or at least "specialness." I don't think owning a bar without magical food on the menu and a portal to the Underdeep in the basement is something most players want.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads