• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Batgirl movie cancelled

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
And those shows will more than likely be on the chopping block, I just saw an ad for HBOmax with direct, and all i could think was the only show that is safe is the GoT related one, all the others will be question marks until an actual statement is made.

Fearless prediction- The GOT show will last only as long as they have strong contractual requirements (maybe even just one year).

After all, they have a Ninety Day Fiancée universe to expound upon .

Ryujin

Legend
I really think that the DCEU really needs to get over its collective self. They aren't rewriting "Othello." They're reinterpreting 4-colour kids books for the screen. When they go dark and gritty, they tend to lose. Have a little fun, like with secondary properties like "The Suicide Squad" (the second, not the first) and "Peacemaker", and they do well. Have some fun. Embrace the ridiculousness. Maybe try making them two-level; aimed mainly at the kids, but with subtext for the parents.

I really think that the DCEU really needs to get over its collective self. They aren't rewriting "Othello." They're reinterpreting 4-colour kids books for the screen. When they go dark and gritty, they tend to lose. Have a little fun, like with secondary properties like "The Suicide Squad" (the second, not the first) and "Peacemaker", and they do well. Have some fun. Embrace the ridiculousness. Maybe try making them two-level; aimed mainly at the kids, but with subtext for the parents.

More than getting over themselves, I say they need to get over Marvel. Seems to me they've done nothing but play "follow the leader" for a long time now. They're stuck in a reaction loop. It's one of the reasons I'm almost hopeful about cancelling Batgirl; it's the most original thing they've done since the Batman Begins trilogy.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
More than getting over themselves, I say they need to get over Marvel. Seems to me they've done nothing but play "follow the leader" for a long time now. They're stuck in a reaction loop. It's one of the reasons I'm almost hopeful about cancelling Batgirl; it's the most original thing they've done since the Batman Begins trilogy.
I dunno. I was thinking they hadn't been following Marvel enough - at least not until Shazam came along and they showed they can do something other than the same drama/emotional palette for every movie. One of the MCU's strengths has been a strong central coordinator for leadership and a variety of directors bring lots of different shades of tone, drama, and humor.

Hex08

Hero
They're reinterpreting 4-colour kids books for the screen.
I get your point, but they haven't been 4-color kids books for years. Nor are they always all-ages anymore. For quite a long time the target audience for comics has been adults. Typically, adults who were fans as kids and never left the hobby, so we have ended up with an aging and shrinking (as people drop out of the hobby) fanbase. Marvel & DC sales numbers have generally been shrinking for years because of this business model.

Ryujin

Legend
I get your point, but they haven't been 4-color kids books for years. Nor are they always all-ages anymore. For quite a long time the target audience for comics has been adults. Typically, adults who were fans as kids and never left the hobby, so we have ended up with an aging and shrinking (as people drop out of the hobby) fanbase. Marvel & DC sales numbers have generally been shrinking for years because of this business model.
Well then maybe they need to get back to their roots, no? That pretty much comes down to the same thing.

Ryujin

Legend
I dunno. I was thinking they hadn't been following Marvel enough - at least not until Shazam came along and they showed they can do something other than the same drama/emotional palette for every movie. One of the MCU's strengths has been a strong central coordinator for leadership and a variety of directors bring lots of different shades of tone, drama, and humor.
Thanks for that. I had meant to also reference "Shazam", but missed doing so. Another movie where fun wasn't lost in the equation. I've mentioned this before. One of my film buff fans likes to refer to Batman as a Night God and Superman as a Sun God, in mythological terms. How the DCEU could make a Sun God character dark and gritty is beyond me. Wrong director, wrong tone. "On my world it means hope" in a florescently lit, desaturated world.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

No. That's so far from the truth - IMO.

Look- I'm not a huge fan of their movie strategy; but it was different. There was the Snyder "doom and gloom-a-verse." Which has since morphed into, post Justice League flop, into something much more interesting -
Joker might have been derivative of Scorsese, but it wasn't Marvel.
Suicide Quad (Gunn) might have been reminiscent of Guardians, but it was certainly not Marvel.
The Batman was many things - but not Marvel. And so on.

More importantly, this overlooks the DC animated universe, which has been amazing- the constant stream of movies as well as the series (from Harley to Young Justice). And then there are the TV series- sure, maybe they haven't gotten the Disney+ love, but Doom Patrol, Watchmen, Tians, Pennyworth, Peacemaker ... they were good.

Cancelling Batgirl (and the other shows) is just more damage, because we know why they are doing it. They aren't pursuing a "Marvel strategy." This is about cutting costs, period. We will see DC heroes only in the big budget films ... but given the track record so far, I am not hopeful.

This isn't building; this is cannibalism of a brand.

Hex08

Hero
Well then maybe they need to get back to their roots, no? That pretty much comes down to the same thing.
The problem is, in part, comics just don't appeal to kids anymore. At least traditional comics, web comics do ok with the younger generation. I started reading them as a kid because they were easily accessible at grocery stores, drug stores and newsstands. I haven't seen a comic in either grocery or drug stores in a decade or more because they don't sell well there and newsstands don't really exist anymore, at least in the US. Video games, smart phones and tablets now are the draw. I know tons of kids who love superheroes but it's from games, TV and movies, most have never read a comic.

Ryujin

Legend
The problem is, in part, comics just don't appeal to kids anymore. At least traditional comics, web comics do ok with the younger generation. I started reading them as a kid because they were easily accessible at grocery stores, drug stores and newsstands. I haven't seen a comic in either grocery or drug stores in a decade or more because they don't sell well there and newsstands don't really exist anymore, at least in the US. Video games, smart phones and tablets now are the draw. I know tons of kids who love superheroes but it's from games, TV and movies, most have never read a comic.
And yet pursuing a literally dying client base is doomed to failure. That's why I mentioned the two-tiered dialogue approach. Hell, it worked for "The Flintstones" back in the '60s.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads