Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Oh dear...)

MechaPilot

Explorer

Thanks for the link. I found it quite interesting compared to the vitriol you find the comments section of YouTube review videos. Also, I didn't see any spoilers in the reviews I read in that link, which was a pleasant surprise (bear in mind that I did not read them all and am not claiming all the reviews are spoiler free).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Its interesting that throughout those reviews there are only 7 mentions of Cavill's portrayal of Superman as opposed to 21 mentions of Affleck and 18 mentions of Gadot. Even Eisenhower gets 16 mentions.
I'm not sure what that says about the tone of the Movie, but it certainly seems that both critics and fans agree that the vehicle has done a better service to Batman than it has for Supes.

Thats not surprising considering the nature of Superman and since I am an anthropologist I wonder if that reflects the mythic tropes still embedded in Western culture. I remember a comment made once that Ang Lees Hulk movie should have been shot as a horror rather than a superhero flick and I wonder if thats an argument that applies to superman too. Hulk and Superman are such that they stand as either 'gods' or 'monsters', Superman must be the boyscout or else he becomes the Alien invader.
Trying to give Superman a batman spin in order to examine his 'flawed humanity' challenges societies mythic trope and requires skill to achieve that is usually beyond the scope of the Hollywood blockbuster.

still I'll wait to see it - albeit I'm in no rush

horacethegrey

First Post
Trying to give Superman a batman spin in order to examine his 'flawed humanity' challenges societies mythic trope and requires skill to achieve that is usually beyond the scope of the Hollywood blockbuster.
I don't think a 'batman spin' is required to examine Superman's flawed humanity. You can keep the mythic dimension of Superman while exploring the flaws in his character, which I think Richard Donner did well in the Christopher Reeve films. The flaw being Superman's love for Lois, leading him to make two mistakes. The first being turning back time on Earth to save her life. Then giving up his power to be with her, which of course leads him unable to stop Zod and company until he gets his power back.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't think a 'batman spin' is required to examine Superman's flawed humanity. You can keep the mythic dimension of Superman while exploring the flaws in his character, which I think Richard Donner did well in the Christopher Reeve films. The flaw being Superman's love for Lois, leading him to make two mistakes. The first being turning back time on Earth to save her life. Then giving up his power to be with her, which of course leads him unable to stop Zod and company until he gets his power back.

A bit of a "God who would be Man" trope. Superman can't have a normal life. I think that "Watchmen" did a pretty good job of making Dr. Manhattan appear as the god-like being who, despite his good will, evoked fear in regular people. One of the mistakes that seems to be made with Superman, is the effort to see him at normal eye level; like every other main character in the movie. Some of the shots I've seen from BvS make it look like they may be getting the feel of his character, from the point of view of the average human, right at least to some degree. Lots of shots of him looking down from on high, or being looked up to at steep angles. This is critical to making Batman's view of him, as the potential Earth threatening danger, sympathetic.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Despite the reviews, I still can't wait to see this. I suspect I'll enjoy it, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. Batfleck looks incredible. I liked Man of Steel a lot, too - I waited for 30 years to see Superman properly punch somebody (those Superman II fight scenes were dated even when they originally showed!)

horacethegrey

First Post
For me, the God connotations with Superman I think are part of the problem. He's just too powerful that I think maybe they should depower him a bit. Perhaps bring him back to his power levels in the Golden Age, as depicted best in the Fleischer Animated Shorts:

[video=youtube;sjdnCC6n4xk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk[/video]

I'm thinking this will be a case of Critical Dissonance when all is said and done. I plan to see it tonight with a friend.

EDIT: Interesting to not on RT that the current Audience score is 80% liking it and an Average Rating: 4.1/5, so I do believe my above statement will hold true.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
For me, the God connotations with Superman I think are part of the problem. He's just too powerful...

He's had the same problem as Han Solo - successive writers have felt the need to load more and more powers (or superlatives) on him to the point that anything that was once interesting about the character has been buried under the paragon.

that I think maybe they should depower him a bit.

The comics have tried that repeatedly. The problem is that it doesn't stick any better than death.

Ryujin

Legend
For me, the God connotations with Superman I think are part of the problem. He's just too powerful that I think maybe they should depower him a bit. Perhaps bring him back to his power levels in the Golden Age, as depicted best in the Fleischer Animated Shorts:

There has been some effort to scale back his powers somewhat but anti-heroes seem to be far more popular, these days, than invulnerable boy scouts. Perhaps that's why so many reviews seem to concentrate more on Affleck's Batman, than Cavill's Superman?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think there's also an element of painting a style as "badwrongfun". Some folks like pop music, some like opera, some like both. But a pop fan saying an opera is poor because it's not pop music is largely meaningless. I'm personally looking forward to a darker, more serious movie than the 8-years-and-counting onslaught of bright, cheery superhero flicks. Both are great.

I suspect if DC had started it's shared universe first and Marvel second, the styles might be reversed. But the worst thing DC could do is copy Marvel.

Remove ads