• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Batman vs. Iron Man - FIGHT!

Batman vs. Iron Man

• Batman

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I'm too mature for this conversation

Votes: 1 3.4%

guerraa

First Post
I haven't read a good old-fashioned "who would win?" thread in a long time!

So - who would win. And, more importantly, why? State your case!

Batman would crush iron, not even close. There's a reason he's Batman, and everyone knows who he is. This is kind of like asking who would win a boxing fight between Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. They're both great, but one just isn't in the same league as the other. Batman is an all-time great that has and will continue to stand the test of time as a LEGEND. iron is a good character that has his fans but will NEVER have the legendary status of Batman. Batman, Superman, Spiderman - the big three of super heroes. You can argue it all you want, and we're all entitled to our opinions but history speaks for itself.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Batman would crush iron, not even close. There's a reason he's Batman, and everyone knows who he is. This is kind of like asking who would win a boxing fight between Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. They're both great, but one just isn't in the same league as the other. Batman is an all-time great that has and will continue to stand the test of time as a LEGEND. iron is a good character that has his fans but will NEVER have the legendary status of Batman. Batman, Superman, Spiderman - the big three of super heroes. You can argue it all you want, and we're all entitled to our opinions but history speaks for itself.

I think you're confusing popularity with power. A character can be popular without being the most powerful. Otherwise, by that logic, Stephen Hawking would beat the current UFC champion in a fight.

Though I agree Batman would win. Not for the reasons you stated, but he'd win.

guerraa

First Post
I think you're confusing popularity with power. A character can be popular without being the most powerful. Otherwise, by that logic, Stephen Hawking would beat the current UFC champion in a fight.

Though I agree Batman would win. Not for the reasons you stated, but he'd win.

While I understand and definitely respect your opinion, this is all fantasy and we can all agree that the "winner" would be determined by whoever is writing the story. My point is that in a work of fiction, an all-time great is not going to lose to someone inferior in the long run. Yes, there are exceptions for a story arc, etc, but in the long run legends endure. I stand by my Batman, Superman, Spiderman statement. It's all opinions, and mine is that iron is not even CLOSE to being in Batman's league. Spiderman and Superman, now we have an argument. Again, it's just opinion since this is all fantasy/fiction.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I understand and definitely respect your opinion, this is all fantasy and we can all agree that the "winner" would be determined by whoever is writing the story. My point is that in a work of fiction, an all-time great is not going to lose to someone inferior in the long run. Yes, there are exceptions for a story arc, etc, but in the long run legends endure. I stand by my Batman, Superman, Spiderman statement. It's all opinions, and mine is that iron is not even CLOSE to being in Batman's league. Spiderman and Superman, now we have an argument. Again, it's just opinion since this is all fantasy/fiction.

Well, that's the meta - and obvious - answer, sure. It's not much fun, though!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My point is that in a work of fiction, an all-time great is not going to lose to someone inferior in the long run. Yes, there are exceptions for a story arc, etc, but in the long run legends endure. I stand by my Batman, Superman, Spiderman statement. It's all opinions, and mine is that iron is not even CLOSE to being in Batman's league.

Eh, be careful, there. Even in terms of popularity, you may not be right. Iron Man has been doing a fine job against Bats in terms of movie grosses of late. And on that scale, Superman is doing poorly. By that logic, Merry, Pippin, and Samwise can beat Superman :p

In terms of staying in the fiction of the comic, I think it comes down to preparation and situation.

Let's be frank - Bats is not going to be constantly carrying around an anti-Iron Man device. So, without forewarning and access to schematics on the armor, he'd not going to have one handy. That leaves Bats holding a sever short end of the stick with respect to outright power. That armor can take shots from Thor and the Hulk - no amount of obsession-driven martial arts training is getting through it. Sorry.

Bats might be able to win on a social-engineering hack - playing off Tony Stark's good-guy nature by forcing Stark into choices that amount to, "do something that will make you lose, or someone gets hurt". Basically, if Bats behaves like a villain, he can win out over IM in a given conflict. And some iterations of Batman have been more than big enough jerks to play that game.

Of course, in doing so, he loses all his Karma Points, rather ensuring that Stark will win in Round 2. :)

guerraa

First Post
Eh, be careful, there. Even in terms of popularity, you may not be right. Iron Man has been doing a fine job against Bats in terms of movie grosses of late. And on that scale, Superman is doing poorly. By that logic, Merry, Pippin, and Samwise can beat Superman :p

In terms of staying in the fiction of the comic, I think it comes down to preparation and situation.

Let's be frank - Bats is not going to be constantly carrying around an anti-Iron Man device. So, without forewarning and access to schematics on the armor, he'd not going to have one handy. That leaves Bats holding a sever short end of the stick with respect to outright power. That armor can take shots from Thor and the Hulk - no amount of obsession-driven martial arts training is getting through it. Sorry.

Bats might be able to win on a social-engineering hack - playing off Tony Stark's good-guy nature by forcing Stark into choices that amount to, "do something that will make you lose, or someone gets hurt". Basically, if Bats behaves like a villain, he can win out over IM in a given conflict. And some iterations of Batman have been more than big enough jerks to play that game.

Of course, in doing so, he loses all his Karma Points, rather ensuring that Stark will win in Round 2. :)

Batman has taken down far tougher opponents than iron, but the bottom line is it's ALL fiction and comes down to who is writing the story. In my version, Batman would win...and it wouldn't be close. You can disagree all you want, and I respect your opinion cause you are entitled to it as we all are. Until a real life Batman and iron show up, I'll just stick with my own opinion. Comic boom sales show who readers like more, and Batman is an original not a complete knockoff.

I'll admit that part of my resentment is towards downey jr insulting Batman and the Dark Knight movie and DC comics in general. Thought it was classless, and there was no apology that I'm aware of for insulting Batman fans. He should be happy with his success and leave it at that. Was never an iron fan to begin with and will not be one anytime soon after that. At the end of the day it's just my opinion, but he is so obviously a cheap imitation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Batman has taken down far tougher opponents than iron

Interesting how Bats gets the "man" from you, but Iron Man doesn't...

In any case - Batman is about preparation. Batman has taken down *everybody* (which I think is a flaw in the writing, not a strength of the character, YMMV), but they usually at least admit that he needs to gather a lot of information and prep beforehand. Like, getting schematics for the armor, and such. Kind of hard to do when Shellhead's off in another universe....

I'll admit that part of my resentment is towards downey jr insulting Batman and the Dark Knight movie and DC comics in general.

Yeah, well, Iron Man is older than Robert Downey Jr. Not just older than Downey's acting him, but literally two years older than Downey himself. If you want to hold a bit of trash talking by one actor against the character, well, that's your choice, I suppose. But it doesn't seem all that just, to me.

guerraa

First Post
Batman has taken down *everybody* (which I think is a flaw in the writing

1. Thanks for making my bottom line point...that Batman would win because as you said yourself Batman takes down *everybody*, which would include iron ;)

2. You are in the VAST minority regarding the opinion of Batman and flawed writing, considering that his comics consistently are at the top of the sales charts. People don't buy comics with flawed writing, at least not consistently

3. In all seriousness, it's all opinions as I've been saying from the beginning. Not trying to get into an argument with anyone, because I most likely won't change your mind and you're certainly not going to change mine. If you were writing the story, it sounds like you'd have iron win...if I were writing, I'd have Batman win. If every single human alive (that cared) had the chance to write it, I'd bet every last penny I have (and any other pennies I could get my hands on) that Batman would win more than iron would. People are going to have the hero they like more win in the end, and I'm 100% positive that Batman has more fans than iron. All this talk about beating the UFC champ, etc is ridiculous because that is real and this is fiction. If I wrote a comic or made a movie about someone fighting the UFC champ, then yes it would be possible to have the UFC champ lose when "realistically" he shouldn't (see the Kevin James movie "Here Comes the Boom")

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The way I see it, the only reason the two would be fighting (both being good guys in general) would be because of a misunderstanding. And after a bit of a rough and tumble, in which Iron Man knocks Batman around a bit and Batman undoubtedly uses some device off his utility belt to hamper Iron Man's armor (that Tony then has to overcome, which he inevitably does because he always does so), they'd come to an understanding.

That said, unless we're looking at Return of the Dark Knight Batman, the Caped Crusader really is outclassed in a fight in terms of raw power and durability. If Iron Man was supposed to run him down and fight him, probably because he's being coerced into it (assuming we're not dealing with jackass Iron Man of the Civil War stories), Batman's best option would be to evade Iron Man himself and try to undermine or neutralize the reason Iron Man is after him, which he would do using his superior detective and infiltration skills but probably only just in time because Iron Man has been busy using his own genius to find a way to track the Batman and has been closing in on him...

Nytmare

David Jose
In all seriousness...

You realize that you're missing the point of the (albeit very silly) discussion, right?

The premise is "Iron Man and Batman are in the same room and have a reason to fight: who wins?" Book sales don't matter, gross earnings don't matter, it's just taking two very different descriptions of two imaginary people and talking about how they might measure up against each other if they were standing side by side.

Side discussion - Who would win in a fight between Alfred and Jarvis? My money is on Jarvis because Coulson got the best of him, and Alfred could totally kick Coulson's ass.

Side side discussion - Google fight has Batman losing to Iron Man with a score of 42.6 million to 162 million. However Bruce Wayne trounces Tony Stark with 37.9 million to a measly 11.1. Is this because Bruce has a better PR team, or was the population of Avengers Earth NY that far depleted after the last movie?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads