• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle Magic (Mongoose) - Any Opinions?

johncolossus

First Post
So Battle Magic - The Eldritch Storm is now released. Has anyone else bought it? Any opinions out there?
Personally the more I read it the more interesting and fun this branch of arcane power seems. The prestige classes are powerful but seem balenced by their cost in GP. There are only 2 (Battle Mage and Eldritch Warrior) which you need to be a minimum of 10th level to join. Main flair of each is distance destructive magic for the battle mage and close combat magic for the eldritch warrior. Their choice of spells are limited by what is in the Book of War - a secret book of spells and battle techniques only available to battle mage guilds but freely offered up as part of the initial training to its members (of which characters need to belong). Therefore all the new and interesting spells in the book can only be cast by the battle mage or eldritch warrior. Other sections include new feats and items specific for this group...such as the mortis harness (mystical focus for battle mages - allows casting of their spells with certain advantages) or spellblade (the main focus of E.W. These characters cast their spells through their blades inc 1st -9th level spells so the target hit with the weapon is the prime recipient of the spell eg fireball - centres on the person you hit but still extends to full range. Good thing here you are immune to your own magic, so even if you stand in the centre of your just released fireball you take no damage! Also with magic item sacrefice you can vastly improve the powers of your blade).
Overall the more I read it the more i am impressed. I have enjoyed every of Mongoose's Encyclopedia Arcane series and this is no exception. Any body else agree...........?

Psion

Adventurer
Just got it the other day. Not sure about it yet as I have just glanced through it. Some neat spells, but I am not so sure how eager I am to use the battle mage PrC, though the Elrirtch Warrior PrC looks sort of neat.

Remove ads