battlelore vs Memoir '44

FriarRosing

First Post
Days of Wonder seriously blundered with the expansions to BattleLore: consider that a M44 expansion contains about 44 terrain tiles, 66 plastic miniatures, 8 scenarios and a few badges and tokens (about $33), whilst the bigger BL expansion (Hundred Years War) contains 0 terrain tiles, 32 plastic figures, a few rules summary cards, and only 5 scenarios (about $30)...
!

I didn't realize the BattleLore expansions had such sparse content for the price! I like the Memoir '44 expansions a lot, but some of the additions seem kind of goofy to me. Mainly, I think the British rules in the Mediterranean Theatre expansion is kind of weird, and feels added just because they wanted special British rules. I'm not entirely sold on the air rules, either, though I love that set. The Japanese rules are really cool, though. I think my biggest complaint is that I want more scenarios with special rules like prison break outs, heroic leaders and camouflaged units.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I didn't realize the BattleLore expansions had such sparse content for the price! I like the Memoir '44 expansions a lot, but some of the additions seem kind of goofy to me. Mainly, I think the British rules in the Mediterranean Theatre expansion is kind of weird, and feels added just because they wanted special British rules. I'm not entirely sold on the air rules, either, though I love that set. The Japanese rules are really cool, though. I think my biggest complaint is that I want more scenarios with special rules like prison break outs, heroic leaders and camouflaged units.

Do you have the M44 Campaign Book yet? I don't know about prison breakouts and heroic leaders, but it certainly has the "Brandenburgers" - German units impersonating Russians!

Cheers!

FriarRosing

First Post
Do you have the M44 Campaign Book yet? I don't know about prison breakouts and heroic leaders, but it certainly has the "Brandenburgers" - German units impersonating Russians!

Cheers!

I've been meaning to get it, but so far none of my local gaming stores have carried it. I guess I'll just order it online sometime. It sounds really cool, though. It's exactly the kind of thing I would have always wanted for the game.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've been meaning to get it, but so far none of my local gaming stores have carried it. I guess I'll just order it online sometime. It sounds really cool, though. It's exactly the kind of thing I would have always wanted for the game.

It's a bit pricey, so I bought it for Randy as a birthday present. (Otherwise, we might not have gotten it!) Now I want a copy for myself! It's beautifully elegant. I'm writing up one of the smaller campaigns in a series of articles on BGG. I'll post links to the entire campaign here once I'm finished.

Cheers!

bolen

First Post
It's a bit pricey, so I bought it for Randy as a birthday present. (Otherwise, we might not have gotten it!) Now I want a copy for myself! It's beautifully elegant. I'm writing up one of the smaller campaigns in a series of articles on BGG. I'll post links to the entire campaign here once I'm finished.

Cheers!
what do I have to own besides the basic rules to use the campaign rules

FriarRosing

First Post
From what I understand, you need the terrain pack, Eastern Front Expansion and, for one campaign, the Air power expansion. If I remember right, there are three big campaigns, one of which requires only the base game, and the other two requiring the expansions. I'm pretty sure that's all you need.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Alas, I don't have the campaign book yet, so I can't just answer your question.

Then I remembered that we're geeks, and, more than that, we have a site called boardgamegeek!

Thanks to Uhtoff, here's the list of required expansions!

His summary:
Battle of Normandy Grand Campaign (17 scenarios) - playable with only the base set, ideally uses the air pack.

Unternehman Fall Gelb Grand Campaign (21 scenarios) - playable with only the base set and the terrain pack, ideally also use the air pack.

Operation Barbarossa Grand Campaign (23 scenarios) - needs the base set, terrain pack, eastern front and the air pack, ideally also the Winter board (for 3 scenarios). Could probably muddle through without the air pack.

Cheers!

Korgoth

First Post
The correct answer is Commands & Colors: Ancients. That is the best game of the line.

Unlike BattleLore and very unlike Mem '44, C&C: A actually makes a provision for using your units somewhat historically. For one thing, different troops are better against certain other enemy troops (elephants beat cavalry and most foot but are vulnerable to light foot, etc.). For another, the use of battle lines and interpenetration of skirmishers is actually represented.

I guess I would say that C&C: A is the only one that actually rises to the level of a "wargame". The other two are fun and have nice toys but they aren't particularly serious.

Another nice thing in C&C: A is that, unless routed, units *always* get to "battle back"... so even if you got a lousy card draw, your troops will at least stand and defend themselves.

Remove ads