• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlemat storage

Boarstorm

First Post
I've recently switched over to a vinyl Chessex battlemat (from a dry erase board with one-inch squares cut into it) because I needed more room.

I'd taken to folding it a number of times for storage, but I discovered that it holds the creases, making it a little annoying when characters or monsters end their move near the creases.

So I tried rolling it up and popping a rubber band around it and storing it that way. And now I've discovered that the whole battlemat curves up off the table in a neat-o arch style reminiscent of the Roman Aqueducts.

So, those of you who use vinyl mats, how do you store them to prevent these kinds of minor annoyances?

Or do you have some trick to quickly whip it back into shape?

I should mention that this particular mat is at least a decade old. It could be that the new mats don't share this particular quality, in which case I suppose I just need to reinvest.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I found a long cardboard tube somewhere once, i think from wrapping paper, about as wide as a paper towel roll.

I flip the map upside down, start at one end and roll it up.

I then slide it into a telescopic art tube:office depot

I have several of these tubes that i keep laminated maps from various fantastic locations, mini starter sets, and adventures stored in.

The chessex map wrapped around the cardboard tube has juuuust enough room to fit. Sometimes during a campaign, if i'm using a laminated map, i'll lay it on the chessex map before rolling.

When I unroll, the battle mat just lays flat.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I roll my Chessex battlemat up, and then weigh down the corners when I put it out - it flattens out pretty decently after a while. I've never had a long term problem doing that. Folding is right out.

I roll mine up loosely when not in use. When I unroll it I put a rule book on each corner for about 15 minutes and after that it lays flat.

Edit: Arrgh... Ninja'd again!

Kyrail

First Post
Just roll it up real loose and let it flop down on something without bending, or stand it up behind a door or something.

When I roll mine up its about 5 inches wide with a lot of space in the middle and unrolls perfectly.

Do not try and roll it up nice and tight like you would normal paper to protect it, you'll be doing it a disservice.

DO NOT FOLD IT! That will ruin it before you know it.

Go to an art supply store. They sell black plastic tubes, about 3-5 inches in diameter, that come with a shoulder strap and can be adjusted (twist and pull, then twist back to lock in place) to varying lengths. It'll cost you $20. Artists and students use them to transport their work.

Here are some examples. The fourth photo down is close to what I have:

http://www.discountart.com/store/storagetubes.html

I have 4 Chessex battlemaps and I keep all of them rolled up in the tube. Easily transportable. One of the best D&D investments I've ever made.

As for the curling, I either put stuff on the corners or simply lay it facedown for an hour before the game and most of the curling disappears.

Last edited:

Remove ads