• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlemats

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I can't say much at this time. However, I can tell you that the tiles will be of the same high quality you've come to expect from them. If possible, we intend to use the exact same manufacturing processes as the original.

We are also looking at the possibility of producing clear and hex versions of the tiles. As well as the possibility of bringing a 3D element (flying characters? 3D spaceship combat?) to your game, but I really shouldn't say any more right now. :p

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I know you said that you wanted a grid (squared) mat so I know I'm outside the box a bit here. But have you considered possibly using a hex mat?

There was a conversation about this recently at CM and we could think of no real* downside to using them for 4e and a couple things that were pretty cool. Notably:

Bursts are more circular so that things like Fireball and so forth actually resemble a...ya know...ball.

The issue some people have with diagonal movement is completely resolved.

Just tossing that in here for consideration.

*I'd adopt this immediately except that I want to make use of my Descent game board snap-together dungeon tiles and they are on a grid. I'm still considering it though.

Agamon

Adventurer
Funny you should mention that. I am a co-owner of a company who, just last night, acquired the rights to produce Tact-tiles from BC Products. Stay tuned. We will be acepting pre-orders in the near future.

Excellent. Something to spend the proceeds of my recently sold set on. :p

Funny you should mention that. I am a co-owner of a company who, just last night, acquired the rights to produce Tact-tiles from BC Products. Stay tuned. We will be acepting pre-orders in the near future.

That's awesome news. When do you expect to be able to produce the Tact-tiles? And will you be able to ship internationally? I imagine that you'll be flooded with orders for these.

Olaf the Stout

Obryn

Hero
Although I love my Chessex mat, it's been pretty well supplanted by an inch grid presentation pad from Office Depot. I can draw out things ahead of time, and it just makes the game run more smoothly.

As of now, I mostly just use the Chessex mat for note-taking and HP tracking. :)

-O

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Although I love my Chessex mat, it's been pretty well supplanted by an inch grid presentation pad from Office Depot. I can draw out things ahead of time, and it just makes the game run more smoothly.

As of now, I mostly just use the Chessex mat for note-taking and HP tracking. :)

-O

A pad like that is what we mostly use as well when I'm not using some of those Descent tiles. I like it for the same reasons you do. In addition it's handy to be able to whip out a map that I already drew when the party visits the same or similar place.

maddman75

First Post
Maddman's cheap and easy battle mat

1) Go to your local department store and buy a 24"x36" poster frame. Or smaller or larger if you like, but that one does me just fine.

2) Remove the paper insert and turn it over. On the white, blank side use a yardstick and pencil to draw 1" lines.

3) Put the paper back into the poster frame grid side up. Proceed to have epic battles.

The whole thing costs $10, you can use dry or wet erase on it, and you can toss it behind a couch or dresser when you aren't gaming.

Remove ads