• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.5--3/04/07--Arc 16

jhallum

Explorer
el-remmen said:
Are you kidding? Tasha Yar's death is just about the best T.V. death ever!

As for Kara Thrace. .. Cyclon. . . Or maybe that's too obvious and she's just dead. . if so even better. . .

I already thought a while ago that I am surprised there was not an epidemic of suicide among the fleet (meaning mostly the civilians, but soldiers, too). . . I would think that long times in space with no hope of going home after all their trauma, lots of people would be losing it. . .

I don't think Kara could be a Cylon, else she would have been sick during the episode with the Cylon virus.

It's been my suspicion for some time that the Cylon God may be the same being that the 13th tribe worshiped (going on the theory that one of the Lords of Kobol was a patron of each of the tribes). That's why the Cylons want to find Earth so bad, not to wipe them out, but to somehow know their God better, since its possible that the 13th tribe knows more than they do. Just a theory, though

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
GlassJaw said:
Well I just watched this episode last night. While I liked it overall, including Thrace's background (felt a lot like a Lost episode), I just didn't get why they did it. Like others have said, it didn't feel like it was necessary nor did it further any story arc or reveal anything else new. I felt the same way when they killed Eko. Definitely a head-scratcher for me.

I'll still tune in though. I want to see how they handle Baltar's trial. I'm rooting for Baltar.

The actor who plays Eko actually wanted off the show. That does not seem to be the case with this person.

Starbuck, the character, has been shown to have some sort of special connectin to something otherworldly. She was guided to the magic arrow. Her mother raised her knowing she was special and had a special destiny. She painted events in the future without knowing what they were. She has something in her head guiding her. She is told she is going to travel to a place between life and death. She found the place she painted long ago, and accepts the offer to take her to the place between life and death.

How does this not further the plot? How was this NOT the story arc all along, along with the temple plot with the Chief, and the oracle, and the Presiden'ts visions, and the mission to find earth by looking for mystical signs, and the relationship between the cylon and human religions, etc...?

Guys, I am starting to think this isn't what you folks wanted the plot to be, and so are now declaring it "not the plot" out of some sort of denial. This was the plot it seems. It was foreshadowed often in prior episodes, and looks like it will continue to play a major role in the plot in the future.

I just don't get this sense that this was random and not a next step in a logical chain of events that has come before in this show.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I have no real issue with the plot.
My issue is with the half-assed execution of the plot.

There was a day where this show could do anything and I would stand with it.
Now, I whine n moan about, and then watch it again and again, hoping to find something redeeming.

Chimera said:
And Moses....er, Admiral Adama will never see the Promised Land...
Though this role was meant for Roslyn, wasn't it? Unless the "Dying Leader" story isn't what it looked like. Oh well, they could die both before they reach Earth... :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Hey, my wife made the most recent BSGCast!

http://www.bsgcast.com/

She is the Galactica Viper Pilot, in the Fan of the Week portion in the latter third of the episode. They picked her up because she makes short (1 min each) vids each week that they apparently watch and like.

GlassJaw

Hero
Mistwell said:
How does this not further the plot? How was this NOT the story arc all along, along with the temple plot with the Chief, and the oracle, and the Presiden'ts visions, and the mission to find earth by looking for mystical signs, and the relationship between the cylon and human religions, etc...?

What did her death do to provide any information to any of the story arcs you mentioned? Nothing, other than, oh yeah, she was special in some way.

Sure, she might come back down the road and these questions might be answered but I stand firm that her death did nothing to answer any questions or shed any new light on anything.

Mr. Patient

Adventurer
BlueBlackRed said:
I have no real issue with the plot.
My issue is with the half-assed execution of the plot.

I'm with you on this. I think the theories discussed in this thread are really quite plausible and might make for fascinating viewing down the line. This particular episode, though, was really quite dull and cliched. Kara's death, which should have been an amazing dramatic moment, landed with a thud.

Last edited:

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Mistwell said:
She was guided to the magic arrow.

How was she guided to the Arrow of Apollo? This was a famous artifact in a well known museum in a large city, Delphi IIRC, on Caprica. It's like an average American knowning where the Liberty Bell is in Philly; or the US Constitution or Declaration of Indepence are in Wash. DC. I take it that Starbuck has much knowledge as the average Colonial. I don't think it was that difficult for her to know where the Arrow was located.

I think that Starbuck will be back because IMO all that time about her destiny was wasted story time unless her destiny was to die on some unknown planet which then would have been a large build up to nothing. Other then retrieving the Arrow she was just another Viper pilot and hasn't contributed anything else of signifigance. If that was all to her destiny then they should have killed her off sooner IMO so we wouldn't have had to go through that awful love square in S3.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Mistwell said:
Hey, my wife made the most recent BSGCast!

http://www.bsgcast.com/

She is the Galactica Viper Pilot, in the Fan of the Week portion in the latter third of the episode. They picked her up because she makes short (1 min each) vids each week that they apparently watch and like.

Funny. :)

Remove ads