D&D General Beadle & Grimm’s Premium Boxed Sets

fjw70

Adventurer
Does anyone very get these? They seem to have some nice add on for the adventures but the content descriptions are pretty vague and they are expensive. They might be worth it but I would have to do more research to see what exactly is in them. Probably a YouTube unboxing video would be the best thing to do.

darjr

I crit!
There are quite a few unboxings out there.

When Matt Colville unboxed Curse of Strahd the glee was palpable. Unfortunately I can't find it now, it might have been just on stream. I think I have an image that captures his glee though... let me find it.

Lazvon

Adventurer
Unboxing videos generally annoy me. So much “emotion” either real or fake, and wasted time in actually “opening and taking things out of the box”. Personally I am just looking for an overview of what is included and perhaps commentary on the quality of the materials used.

fjw70

Adventurer
Unboxing videos generally annoy me. So much “emotion” either real or fake, and wasted time in actually “opening and taking things out of the box”. Personally I am just looking for an overview of what is included and perhaps commentary on the quality of the materials used.
I just watched an unboxing for the platinum edition of the Spelljammer box (I couldn’t find a silver edition version) and the unboxed does things like “here are some player handouts” and then just sets them aside unwrapped. WHAT ARE THE FREAKING HANDOUTS? 😂

fjw70

Adventurer
I have the Strahd, Saltmarsh, Dragon Heist, and Spelljammer boxes. AMA.

There are also definitely previous threads on these on this board if you do a search.
I assume you think Thea de worth it since you keep buying them. Domyiu get the platinum or gold or silver? I am particularly interested in the Spelljammer one.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I got to check them out at Gamehole Con. They’re impressive. They’re just a little too rich for my current budget.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I assume you think Thea de worth it since you keep buying them. Domyiu get the platinum or gold or silver? I am particularly interested in the Spelljammer one.

I have the Platinum Spelljammer and Dragon Heist, the Silver Saltmarsh (which I think is the only one they made) and the Legendary Strahd (ditto).

The composition of each is slightly different. My priorities are battle maps, minis, and hand-outs, in that order.

The Strahd set is worth the price of admission for getting full-color battlemaps for the entirety of Castle Ravenloft. It also has great handouts, and cute puppets which I will never use. No minis.

Dragon Heist has color battlemaps for many areas, which is particularly good because the maps in that adventure are the monochrome Dyson Logos ones that I don't really like. It also divides the adventure into books for each season, which eliminates the page-flipping nightmare of using the hardcover. It has nice handouts including a great Stone of Golorr. It includes a generous selection of (unpainted) minis. Unfortunately this is among my least favorite 5E adventures, but that's not B&G's fault.

Saltmarsh one has no minis and frankly also sadly missing battlemaps for most of the adventures. Handouts are very good.

Spelljammer is probably the strongest of the four I own. AMAZING collection of painted minis, many of which are otherwise unavailable. Color battlemaps for most of the important encounters. Only a few handout props, but the ones included are excellent (love the ring of shooting stars). The only thing I wish they had included is a Spelljammer ship model al la the infernal war machine included in the Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus set (my group got that one for a DM who had run Tomb of Annihilation for us).

The way I have acquired most of mine is by my players pooling their funds at the end of a campaign to get me one as both a present and an unsubtle hint that they want me to run it. I think that's the way they make the most sense to buy, because as a group gift they're much more affordable and then everyone gets enjoyment from them although the DM owns them.

Last edited:

Remove ads