• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best 5e YouTubers

WarpedAcorn

First Post

Nerdarchy is funny because I feel they are like 2 weeks behind topics that I read or participate on in this forum. I usually listen to part of an episode when I get home from work and am changing clothes. They can ramble a bit, and honestly do not seem very well prepared in any episode (evidenced by them looking through the books and re-reading rules). If they were better structured and edited it probably wouldn't bug me so much.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I like Lindybeige and Scholagladiatoria for weapons, armour, history etc. It turns out that D&D weapon stats tend to be the opposite of reality - bows take STR, swords are mostly DEX. :D

I also subscribe to Lindeybeige. How could I forget to mention him. He's awesome. His video output seems to have gone down, perhaps because he is busy with his Kickstarter---a graphic historical novel about Hannibal.

MNblockhead

Critical Role on Geek and Sundry is pretty good and can be seen on youtube as well, there are over 80 three-plus hour episodes.

I watched some of the first, but I am not finding long session live games to be my thing, other than Acquisitions Incorporated, I don't follow any of those right now. That said, I really enjoyed Force Grey. I think the mini-series format helps. I thought Mercer was great as DM of Force Grey and I found the players to be engaging for the most part.

I will say one thing about critical role, it seems like the players actually know how to play the game. It irks me that after months and many hours of play, half the players in Dice, Camera, Action don't seem to know their characters or how the game works. Especially the guy that plays the bard. He would drive me nuts as a player in my game, much less having to watch him hem and haw when asked what his character does. He also missed so many games, I really thought they should have replaced him. Many of their guests were far more engaging. I'm guessing he must have a following from whatever else he does.

MNblockhead

Matthew Colville. He provides a lot of advice for GMs, including using old adventures and edition materials for 5e or creating NPCs, plot lines, and basics of the game. He also runs campaign diaries from the perspective of his GM plans, preparations, and predictions, and then how none of that survives first contact with the players.

I need to give him another chance. The way he talks annoyed me the couple times I tried to watch him. (God, I sound like a jerk.) I don't have much interest sitting though the long world-building session he records, but I think I'll revisit some of his shorter videos. Enough people have recommended and follow his videos that I'm thinking I was just having a bad day when I watched them in the past.

MNblockhead

Itmejp - Streams on twitch high quality games and then uploads them on Youtube. RollPlay: Court of Swords is your standard D&D 5e game(currently running game). He has lots of other games playing as well, using different systems and non standard plots(future, super heros...etc)

There is tons of older content that is no longer playing that you can watch on his channel as well. West Marches was pretty good...and there are tons of others.

ITMEJP YOUTUBE LINK

Thanks, I'll check him out. I like how his videos are shorter. Makes it easier to sit down and watch a video before bed every now and then.

MNblockhead

Nerdarchy is funny because I feel they are like 2 weeks behind topics that I read or participate on in this forum. I usually listen to part of an episode when I get home from work and am changing clothes. They can ramble a bit, and honestly do not seem very well prepared in any episode (evidenced by them looking through the books and re-reading rules). If they were better structured and edited it probably wouldn't bug me so much.

That was my impression as well. I'm sure I would enjoy hanging out with them, but really don't want to sit through their videos. Web DM is basically the same thing, but it is much tighter. Also, I think having only two people makes the conversation go more smoothly. Once you start having more than two people, you need a very good moderator to keep things flowing.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
That was my impression as well. I'm sure I would enjoy hanging out with them, but really don't want to sit through their videos. Web DM is basically the same thing, but it is much tighter. Also, I think having only two people makes the conversation go more smoothly. Once you start having more than two people, you need a very good moderator to keep things flowing.

I'll give Web DM a look then. =)

Also, I do watch Dawnforged Cast from time to time. Usually whatever is being discussed is something I've seen on the forums here, but I appreciate how he talks through his thought process. Its the reason I direct newer players to some of his videos, specifically on character creation.

Valador

First Post
Nerdarchy is funny because I feel they are like 2 weeks behind topics that I read or participate on in this forum.

That may be the case, but I don't really follow the forums that actively to notice I suppose. I maybe glance at the forums once a week or so simply because there's nothing for me to really talk about here most of the time. I usually listen to YouTube videos while driving back and forth to work, so I tend to get my info that way. To each their own I suppose, I find it better for me to listen to something in the background being discussed instead of trying to read through multiple posts on a forum.

Aldarc

Legend
I need to give him another chance. The way he talks annoyed me the couple times I tried to watch him. (God, I sound like a jerk.) I don't have much interest sitting though the long world-building session he records, but I think I'll revisit some of his shorter videos. Enough people have recommended and follow his videos that I'm thinking I was just having a bad day when I watched them in the past.
You would be in good company then; I have never watched any of his lengthier videos either. Much for the same reason that he doesn't watch all of Critical Role: I don't have the time to sit through all that. I don't agree with his approaches to everything, but I do think that he is knowledgeable, compassionate, and sensible when it comes to his GMing. In particular, I appreciate those moments when he recognizes that he messed up or that his players saw things completely differently than him. Those are the learning moments I like seeing in the videos, because those are the points where you see him reflecting and learning.

I'm also a big fan of Matthew Colville. That said, I really wish the guy would take a moment and breathe on occasion. He talks so fast I feel worn out after his videos end.

I'd also like to recommend High Rollers by members of the Yogscast. These guys have a great 5E actual play campaign on twitch and archived on youtube. The DM, Mark Hulmes, is an exceptional storyteller.

Remove ads