• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best 5e YouTubers

Valetudo

Adventurer
I like critical role. I just wish they would split their videos into smaller chunks. Its hard to watch a three and a half hour vid on anything.

I'm also a big fan of Matthew Colville. That said, I really wish the guy would take a moment and breathe on occasion. He talks so fast I feel worn out after his videos end.

I'd also like to recommend High Rollers by members of the Yogscast. These guysI ag have a great 5E actual play campaign on twitch and archived on youtube. The DM, Mark Hulmes, is an exceptional storyteller.

I have to agree about Colville. He talks at about 90mph and it's hard for me to take that for more than a few minutes at a time. However I like a lot of what he's saying.

I'm torn about High Rollers. Love Mark Hulmes as the DM. He's great. Don't really like any of the players or characters they're running other than Elora, though. Never really clicked with me and I have a hard time seeing how they're still alive. Stop watching around September.

MarkB

Legend
I enjoy Roll4It, which I got into because I was subscribed to a couple of the players' Let's Play channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCifkjVaOOT5VxraQpYUwL6A

They currently play two concurrent games weekly, on Sundays and Wednesdays - a Dark Heresy campaign that's about to wrap up and be replaced by Shadowrun, and an ongoing D&D 5e campaign. Sessions are streamed live on Twitch, then subsequently posted to Youtube.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'm just seconding Matt Colville and Critical Role.

Both are fantastic.

Totally agree. Having just run my first ever session last night as a DM, Matt Colville's video's gave me the drive, Critical roll + Matt Mercer from Critical Role + Chris Perkins gave me the inspiration.

Does anyone know of a YouTube DM/session that is near to the quality of thease two?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It irks me that after months and many hours of play, half the players in Dice, Camera, Action don't seem to know their characters or how the game works.
That is actually one of my favorite things about Dice, Camera, Action; they are showing folks out in the gaming population at large that it's okay to not be a 100% master of the rules - both in how the players aren't treated harshly for not being sure of how their characters work, and in how Chris Perkins doesn't adhere to the written rules on everything, and occasionally has to look up something because even he hasn't memorized everything.

It shows that its okay to approach the game in a casual manner and focus on having fun, rather than doing it "right."

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That is actually one of my favorite things about Dice, Camera, Action; they are showing folks out in the gaming population at large that it's okay to not be a 100% master of the rules - both in how the players aren't treated harshly for not being sure of how their characters work, and in how Chris Perkins doesn't adhere to the written rules on everything, and occasionally has to look up something because even he hasn't memorized everything.

It shows that its okay to approach the game in a casual manner and focus on having fun, rather than doing it "right."

I agree and that's one of the things that I originally liked. But that's not what I'm looking for now. There are some very well produced live-stream D&D games on Twitch, YouTube, PodCasts, etc. Games like Acquisitions Incorporated, Godsfall, Critical Role, and the like have upped the game. It is a new form of entertainment. I don't want to just watch other people playing a game. I want to see it taken to the next level.

Actually, even the games I like are strong on fluff and drama-student friendly. I would like to see some more crunch. Folks who are good at the rules and tactics as well as having a great story.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads