• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best AC in game (without using any armor)?

Create a Draconic Sorcerer X/Barbarian 1 with starting Con and Dex scores of 16 (assuming a human variant).

Every time you get to increase an ability score, increase Con and Dex until they reach 20.

Final AC: 10 + 5 (Dex) + 5 (Con) + 2 (shield) = 22

Since you are a X level sorcerer you also have a great supply of Shield spells (AC 27).

Congratulations, you now have someone that a Balor (still) has trouble hitting (after all the edits)!

Edit: If you add Haste to the mix, max AC becomes 29!!:cool:

Last edited:

I don't see why those two are incompatible. The multiclassing rules say that you can't gain the Unarmored Defence feature from two classes. It doesn't mention Draconic Resilience. Am i missing something?

Ahglock

First Post
Unarmored defense and a blade singers dance I think stack. It requires 3 good stats though. With their magic it gets more absurd, shield, haste etc.

In terms of rules mechanics; because neither of those gives an AC bonus that could be added to the other. They are just two different ways of calculating your AC.

In terms of the reasons behind those mechanics; Bounded accuracy.

But even then, this build has a max AC of 27.
For as long as your shield spells last. And you're still mostly a Sorceror with a rather low Charisma, so your effectiveness isn't going to be that impressive. Having a high AC is generally only ideal if your opponents actually have a reason to attack you.

Remove ads