• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Alternate System for Dark Heresy Setting

furashgf

First Post
I'd love to run Dark Heresy, and I'm a fan of the original Warhammer 2nd Edition Green Ronin version, but I'm just not happy between the match between the mechanics and setting / type of stories I'd like to work on with the Warhammer 40K Inquisitor staff.

Has anyone run it with a different system? I'm looking to minimize the # of house rules. I've thought about Strands of Fate or Savage Worlds, both of which wouldn't be hard to convert, but the mechanics don't really help or hinder the 40K flavor. I thought that Leverage would be perfect, but I don't own it (yet).

Thanks in advance for your help.

deinol

First Post
I'm curious what you like about Warhammer 2E but dislike about Dark Heresy. They really are based on the same system. Careers aren't quite as flexible, but once you start adding in alternate ranks from Inquisitor's handbook and the like it really does have options.

I do think that the other lines have expanded the power of the system a little too much. I think there should be only one set of statistics for a boltgun. But overall, if you stick with just Dark Heresy, I think the power levels work out well.

Sanzuo

First Post
Yea, I was going to say this earlier, but I can't really think of a system better suited for Dark Heresy than the Dark Heresy system. Since the RPG rules are basically expanded of the basic Warhammer wargame mechanics, I think it works really well, especially with the brutal crit charts and the fantastical weaponry.

I also like how the rules for firing a gun or swinging a sword work on the exact same percentile system as using a skill or a psychic power. The percentage system makes it really obvious how well you have a chance of succeeding.

If I had to change anything I would think about using the revised psyker rules from Rogue Trader, as they seem less convoluted. You only have to make one check to use your power as opposed to, what, three?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Take a look at "Stars without Number" from Sine Nomine Games.

The system uses OD&D/Basic D&D as a basis and builds a unique game out of it.
Even better, you can download the rules for free at RPG Now.

jedavis

First Post
My Mongoose Traveller game has almost devolved into Dark Heresy... you could add crit tables, psycher mishap tables, and some equipment, and it'd come pretty close. Background table modifications might also be necessary for a full conversion.

Remove ads