• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Archer Build?

IamTheTest

First Post
I think you should consider cleric. If you take the Elf domain and snag Zen Archery you can be quite effective despite the lack of BAB. Spells are sweet.

Abraxas

Explorer
So you would recommend Wood Elf over any other race for a pure archer?
If you are planning on the ranger route then yes - just because the Wood Elf has ranger as favored class. Thinking about it more I would start with the following stats instead of those I listed in the previous post:

Str 16
Dex 17
Con 13 (or 14)
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 08 (or 06)

(#s in parentheses if you can stomach the huge charisma penalty)

Abraxas

Explorer
What's Truebane? I tried to look it up, couldn't find anything
Dragon Magazine #345 - Price equivalent to +3 bonus
Initially, the weapon gains the bane weapon quality against the type of creature that wields it. At the end of any round that you deal damage against a creature it switches to a bane weapon against that type of creature. So if you successfully damage a giant, at the end of the round the weapon becomes a giant bane weapon and on subsequent rounds gains an additional +2 enhancement vs giants and deals an additional 2d6 damage vs giants. If you fail to deal damage to a creature in subsequent rounds it switches back to bane vs the wielder's type.

Question

First Post
Take levels in the targetter variant class from dragon 310 for the vital aim class ability(use dex mod for damage). Also deepwood sniper needs house ruling in regards to the class ability to ignore degrees of cover(or is it concealment, i forgot).

Iku Rex

Explorer
Question said:
Also deepwood sniper needs house ruling in regards to the class ability to ignore degrees of cover(or is it concealment, i forgot).
Will you please stop saying that? It does not. :\

You're probably thinking of the peerless archer. (My conversion.) It's a very minor issue.

Question

First Post
No? At 2nd level her miss chance against opponents drop by 10%, so she has a 10% miss chance instead of 20% against an opponent with one-half concealmeant. Her miss chance drops by an additional 10% per 4 deepwood sniper levels, but it never drops it below 0%.

Theres also a rather weird part where at 2nd level the deepwood sniper can cast magic weapon on a projectile weapon 1/day........at 7th level the sniper is guaranteed to have a +1 weapon already. I think it needs house ruling to greater magic weapon.

Take aim also raises interesting questions. Any opponent can notice the sniper appearing to take extra time to aim and then simply take a move action to render it ineffective......and then what happens, does the sniper get the single attack at no extra bonus?

Iku Rex

Explorer
Question said:
No? At 2nd level her miss chance against opponents drop by 10%, so she has a 10% miss chance instead of 20% against an opponent with one-half concealmeant. Her miss chance drops by an additional 10% per 4 deepwood sniper levels, but it never drops it below 0%.
Yes, that's the ability. Why does it need a house rule?

Is it the use of the 3.0 term "one-half concealment" for 20% miss chance (rather than just "concealment" in 3.5) in the example that has you warning everyone whenever the deepwood sniper is mentioned? :confused:
Question said:
Theres also a rather weird part where at 2nd level the deepwood sniper can cast magic weapon on a projectile weapon 1/day........at 7th level the sniper is guaranteed to have a +1 weapon already. I think it needs house ruling to greater magic weapon.
<shrug>. I don't.
Question said:
Take aim also raises interesting questions. Any opponent can notice the sniper appearing to take extra time to aim and then simply take a move action to render it ineffective......and then what happens, does the sniper get the single attack at no extra bonus?
If the opponent notices you and moves you don't get the bonus. That's what the ability says. There's no reason to think the DS would somehow be unable to fire just because he doesn't get this bonus.

(Better question: How long does the bonus last? One round? Until the opponent moves?)

Question

First Post
Because in 3.5e you only have 20% or 50% concealment, and the ability to have 10%, 30% or 40% concealment seems to too confusing. It would be easier to houserule it to something like ignore half concealment at level X followed by total concealment at level Y.

Magic weapon 1/day at level 7 and does not scale is pointless. Might as well give a wizard PRC the ability to cast a CL 1 magic missle at character level 9.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads