• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Cover Songs of All Time

Zardnaar

Legend
Hurt-Johny Cash.

Man Who Sold the World-Nirvana.

Few odd choices.

Starman by Garbage (originally Bowie)

Cars by Fear Factory feat. Gary Numen (original Gary Numen). Synthpop into Industrial metal.

Frog Leap Studio's Africa feat. Hannah and Rabea (originally Toto)

Worst: Under the Bridge All Saints.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Hurt by Johnny Cash has already been mentioned, so I'll just post some of my favorites...

...for worst, I don't think I've ever heard a cover by Marilyn Manson that's as good as the the originals.

I thought Manson did an above average job at his covers.

Might also depend if you like metal or not.

Dioltach

Legend
Most people don't even know that Joan Jett's version IS a cover. ;)
I once saw an interview with the guy who wrote it, who was asked whether he resented the cover versions being so much more successful than own. He replied that Joan Jett's version had paid for his house on Park Avenue, and Britney Spears's version had paid for his house in Miami - so why should he be jealous?

Ryujin

Legend
I once saw an interview with the guy who wrote it, who was asked whether he resented the cover versions being so much more successful than own. He replied that Joan Jett's version had paid for his house on Park Avenue, and Britney Spears's version had paid for his house in Miami - so why should he be jealous?
On the other hand George Thorogood is really unhappy that a cover band gets more gigs playing "Bad to the Bone" than he does.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I don't know about BEST, but here's some songs that are definitely covers.

Armored Saint (Saturday Night Special by Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Flotsam & Jetsam (Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting by (Sir) Elton John)

Mordred (Superfreak by Rick James)

Helloween (Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull)

Exodus (Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC)

Remove ads