Best Cover Songs of All Time

Inspired by Payn’s threads, asking this question. I feel the obvious answer is Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah. So looking for ideas not that. I nominate Man Who Sold The World. Nirvana cover of Bowie on MTV Unpluged.

Bonus, worst covers, I nominate D’yer Maker by Sheryl Crow.

Davies

Legend
Pet Shop Boys' cover of "You Were Always On My Mind". As one reviewer noted, where the original is a heartfelt plea, this becomes an audacious declaration of, "Cad though I am, you would be a fool to let me slip away."

Phil Collins' cover of "Groovy Kind of Love". Gentle and melancholy where the original is shallow.

Santana's cover of "Little Bit of Love"; as if the man's talent isn't enough, Michelle Branch's vocals further elevate this above Gregg Alexander's original.

Worst cover: Jessica Simpson's "These Boots Are Made For Walking". Runner up: Jessica Simpson's "Take My Breath Away".

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Pet Shop Boys' cover of "You Were Always On My Mind". As one reviewer noted, where the original is a heartfelt plea, this becomes an audacious declaration of, "Cad though I am, you would be a fool to let me slip away."
This is my go-to answer for this question.

Underated alternatives:

The Sound of Silence by Disturbed.
Jump by Aztec Camera.

Remove ads