Best feats for a Wizard

MerakSpielman

First Post
Crap, that's right. A +1 bonus is hardly worth it. If they'd increased the benefit from Greater Spell Focus to +2 or +3, then Spell Focus might be worth it as a prerequisite, but as it is I wouldn't take it any more.

ghettognome

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
There's a very similar one in Complete Arcane called Collegiate Wizard but it can only be taken at 1st level. It gives you four new spells per level instead of two, six starting spells + int bonus at level one and +2 on Knowledge (Arcana) checks. Worth taking, IMO.

Is this a WOTC product? I think I read somewhere it was, but I don't keep up on that sort of thing. If so then WOHOOO!!! I like a feat like that, not to mention that my last 3 DM's were WOTC product only people!

Asmo

First Post
I think that Thoughness isn´t that bad for a 1 lvl wizard, those extra hp is often a lifesaver, specially if your Con is low.

Asmo

irdeggman

First Post
Of all the classes wizardsdo benefit most from toughness at 1st level due to their starting 4 hit points (plus Con).

But, Improved Initative is much better for a wizard. It improves the chanes that you will act first - often the difference between surving or not at any level. If the PC goes first, then casts shield or mage armor his survival chances are a whle lot better, especially at first level.

My son is currently playing a wizard and has finally reached 7th level. He took toughness at first level for the same reason, and Improved Initiative as his human bonus feat. He has since focused on taking item creation feats whenever possible. He has used Scribe Scroll (starting feat for wizard) extensively. It is real cheap (gp and exp) to make scrolls. At earlier levels this gave his PC a whole lot more punch. Add to that his propensity of rolling 3 or 4 on his magic missile damage rolls and his PC has done a whole lot of damage to the foes. He has succesfully used flaming sphere to great effect. First round cast flaming sphere on a foe. 2nd round move sphere to opponent (either new or the same one who has moved) with his move action and cast magic missile with his standard action.

Stacking spells is awsome when done well and I have been constantly impressed as has the rest of the gaming group with my son's ability to be creative and thoughtful in this concept. He is only 13.

Anyway he also chose brew potion as his 3rd level feat and started making invisibility potions. Potions can be used by anyone so they are real useful. His 5th level bonus feat was craft arms and armor and his 6th level character feat was craft wands.

He is constantly looking for magic items to create that will help the party. He is very definitely a team player in this aspect.

Tessarael

Explorer
I don't think Collegiate Wizard is from Complete Arcane ...

Grrrr. It is there. On page 181. Annoying.

Last edited:

Vurt

First Post
Tessarael said:
I don't think Collegiate Wizard is from Complete Arcane ...

Grrrr. It is there. On page 181. Annoying.
Here it is also from the latest "In the Works" under Complete Arcane, quoted for those of us still without said text:

WotC said:
Collegiate Wizard
You have undergone extensive training in a formal school for wizards.
Prerequisites: Int 13, wizard level 1
Benefit: You begin play with knowledge of six 1st-level spells, plus 1 per point of Intelligence bonus. Each time you gain a wizard level, you may add four spells to your spellbook. You gain a +2 bonus on all Knowledge (arcana) checks.
Normal: 1st-level wizards begin play with knowledge of three 1st-level spells, and add two spells per level to their spellbook.
Special: You can take this feat only as a 1st-level character.

krichaiushii

First Post
It looks like I must get Complete Arcane now.

Collegiate Wizard looks like a wonderful nonPrC perk for belonging to a certain organization, in certain campaigns, anyhow.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Asmo said:
I think that Thoughness isn´t that bad for a 1 lvl wizard, those extra hp is often a lifesaver, specially if your Con is low.

Toughness is a fine feat for a first level Wizard for players who actually roleplay a character that wants to live. Toughness and Improved Initiative are the best choices for a 1st level Wizard.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Re: Improved Initiative. I think going early on in a round is over-rated. I find it easier, as a spellcaster, to use my spells to great effect once the battle is joined and I can spot weaknesses to exploit.

irdeggman

First Post
Not going early is very useful for healing types (clerics especially) since they are more reactive than wizards are.

Wizards who wait to exploit weakness are more often surrounded and engaged in melee before they can effectively do anything.

IMO wizards are best at reducing the number of foes before they close in on allies (especially at higer levels 5+). At low levels survival is of paramount importance for a wizard, so being able to cast mage armor or expeditious retreat prior to being engaged (or shot at) is an extremely important suvival trick.

Our players general tactic is to shoot the foe in the back first since he is most likely the spellcaster/leader. And since most players will place their most vulnerable PC in the rear (e.g., the wizard) the same tactic being used by foes is highly likely.

Remove ads