D&D 5E Best Gish

Kithas

First Post
What would be a good wizard school for a Human Fighter1/Wizard 2 for AL play? Right now I am taking Abjurer, but i am not sure how well I would be able to keep the ward going between long rests. I use a flail with a shield and have GFB and Lightning Lure along with Chill Touch for attack spells.
As we just talked about, generally that ward is good for 1 full charge and maybe about 20% over the course of the day. It takes suuuuper long to recharge. Honestly I would advise evocation for a school for gishes. Make sure you grab sword burst for the aoe.

LightningArrow

First Post
What would be a good wizard school for a Human Fighter1/Wizard 2 for AL play? Right now I am taking Abjurer, but i am not sure how well I would be able to keep the ward going between long rests. I use a flail with a shield and have GFB and Lightning Lure along with Chill Touch for attack spells.

The ward HP doesn't scale well with fighter levels. Go Diviner instead; Portent can save a bad roll in a crucial moment, and even protect you from enemy hits and especially crits.

Colder

Explorer
The ward HP doesn't scale well with fighter levels. Go Diviner instead; Portent can save a bad roll in a crucial moment, and even protect you from enemy hits and especially crits.

It doesn't really protect you from bad rolls, hits and crits so much as remove the opportunity of them happening since you have to replace the roll before it's made. It's the price you pay for knowing the outcome beforehand.

procproc

First Post
As we just talked about, generally that ward is good for 1 full charge and maybe about 20% over the course of the day. It takes suuuuper long to recharge. Honestly I would advise evocation for a school for gishes. Make sure you grab sword burst for the aoe.

It doesn't recharge especially well, but there's no rider about rituals not recharging it. Casting the Alarm spell as a first-level ritual, for example, can be done 6 times in an hour (a short rest) and nets you 12 points of ward. Whether or not you can do that while actually resting is subject to DM fiat, of course.

the_move

First Post
This is an infinite debate: what is a gish? A guy that can cast and hit? A guy that can cast and get in the fray without fear? A guy that can hit hard thanks to magic?

Anyway, here are a few not-so talked about options:

- Fighter 5 (or 6)/Lore Bard X: Heavy armor proficiency, all the fighter goodness, Extra Attack. Apart from the loss of spells, better than Valor, IMO.
- Eldritch Knight 11/Wizard X: Three attacks. Eldritch Strike is massive for save-or-suck spells. For ranged and melee alike.
Eldritch Strike is lvl 10, so either it or three attacks.
Abjuration spells are nice, but Abjuration school is not very helpful without high Int and more than 10 lvl of Wizard. Divination is a good choice, maybe even Transmutation, because of the lvl6 gadget. Elf EK/wizard with high Dex/Int might favor Bladesinger.

Last edited:

LightningArrow

First Post
Eldritch Strike is lvl 10, so either it or three attacks.
Abjuration spells are nice, but Abjuration school is not very helpful without high Int and more than 10 lvl of Wizard. Divination is a good choice, maybe even Transmutation, because of the lvl6 gadget. Elf EK/wizard with high Dex/Int might favor Bladesinger.

I know it's level 10, but since you went to 10 to get it, not going 11 for a 3rd attack would be crazy.
What matters about abjuration for an EK is Absorb Elements and Shield, the rest is completely irrelevant.
For elves, Bladesinging is massive.

Any fighter can benefit from two levels of Diviner Wizard for Portent. Champions can make crits happen almost at will with 19-20 results popping up. Battlemasters can give their enemies a crappy save for Tripping/Menacing Attack. EKs profit from extra tankiness and predicting enemy saves too.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
I am big fan of Sorcerer's as gishes with the advent of the sword coast guide. You can use meta magic to cast a spell using quicken and follow up with one of the new attack cantrips. This comes online at 4th level.

You also get the bonus of Con as a proficient saving throw and full caster progression.

If you want to be more tanky add a few levels of Paladin, while also adding smite damage.

I think this likely better than fighter/wizard builds but don't have any math to back it up.

Last edited:

the_move

First Post
If you start Fighter, you also have proficiency in Con saves. For the rest it really depends on the setup. Both can be pretty lethal.

Remove ads