• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Modules to Introduces the Forgotten Realms Flavor in the 5E

RedTorment

First Post
Hi All,

After years of playing pathfinder, I will soon begin to master HotDQ and TROT.
Unfortunately my players know nothing about the Forgotten Realms and I think they would lose some of the fun. In particular

[sblock]I talking about the new management of the Dragons Cult that had previously focused on transforming dragons into dracolich and their alliance with red wizards.
The other anomalous thing is that of the alliance between the Zentarhim and the forces of good.[/sblock]

So I wanted to play some modules first as prequels that can serve as a basis for getting to know the Forgotten Realms as they were before the fifth.

Here is the list of those I know and why I chose them:

[sblock]Doom of Daggerdale to experience an adventure with the Zentarians as adversaries.

Vault of the Dracolich to make them known how the Cult of the Dragon has always behaved in the past.

Ghost of the Dragonspear Castle to experienxe the Red Wizards as foes and to have a flavor even of the elemental evils.[/sblock]

Unfortunately I will have to start a conversion job but I fear that this is the only way.

Do you have any other adventures with these three groups in mind as antagonists?

mankyle

Explorer
For me there is an adventure that I have DMd a couple of times with different groups.
It is the very first adventure set in the Forgotten Realms, Under Illefarn.

It has everything. Socializing, combat, exploration and a giant dungeon.

When Ghosts of Dragonspear came during the playtesting I was very happy. But I still consider Under Illefarn one of the best Beginner's adventure of all D&D editions.

As for your question....

Reavers of Harkenwold is a good 4E adventure set in Nentir vale that could be easily modified to set the zhentarim as the Bad Guys.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Here are a few good ones:

Shadowdale
Sword of the Dales
The Secret of Spiderhaunt
Return of Randal Morn
Ruins of Adventure

I would also maybe recommend getting your hands on a 2nd edition sourcebook and maybe just create a small adventure to start with.

aco175

Legend
I loved Under Illefarn, but think that it does not show much FR. I do not have the quasi-remake- Ghost of Dragonspear Castle, but think that that module would.

RedTorment

First Post
For me there is an adventure that I have DMd a couple of times with different groups. It is the very first adventure set in the Forgotten Realms, Under Illefarn.
Reavers of Harkenwold is a good 4E adventure set in Nentir vale that could be easily modified to set the zhentarim as the Bad Guys.

I will have a look at Under Illefarn, though I think that Reavers of Harkenwold is more suitable for what I have in mind, being easily adaptable. Good reccomendation Mankyle , thank you

Here are a few good ones:

Shadowdale
Sword of the Dales
The Secret of Spiderhaunt
Return of Randal Morn
Ruins of Adventure

I would also maybe recommend getting your hands on a 2nd edition sourcebook and maybe just create a small adventure to start with.

Thank yuou Corpsetaker, I think you are are referring to Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land, wich is the second module of a trilogy I did not know, not the Shadowdale Module of the AD&D
As far as I have understood, the Zhentarin are only present in the second module and it seems to be very beautiful campaign according to the reviews.
I knew The Sword of the Dales Trilogy, and I am evaluating whether to use only the dungeons of the first two adventures, to be played right after Doom of Daggerdale.
I will have a look at Ruins of Adventure

Corpsetaker

First Post
I will have a look at Under Illefarn, though I think that Reavers of Harkenwold is more suitable for what I have in mind, being easily adaptable. Good reccomendation Mankyle , thank you

Thank yuou Corpsetaker, I think you are are referring to Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land, wich is the second module of a trilogy I did not know, not the Shadowdale Module of the AD&D
As far as I have understood, the Zhentarin are only present in the second module and it seems to be very beautiful campaign according to the reviews.
I knew The Sword of the Dales Trilogy, and I am evaluating whether to use only the dungeons of the first two adventures, to be played right after Doom of Daggerdale.
I will have a look at Ruins of Adventure

No worries! I was talking about the old FRE 1 Shadowdale, the one with Midnight, Kelemvor and Cyric. I find the old Volo's guides a big help when creating small beginning adventures. They have loads of little tidbits here and there they you can use to create adventures.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I would also recommend FRS 1 The Dalelands book. It is a super guidebook on the Dales that help you create all sorts of adventures.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Do you mean the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback? Just out of curiosity, why would you recommend that over the original boxed set? I ask, because it seems to me that a lot of FRA was devoted to game mechanics (like 1e-2e conversions, specialty priests, firearms, spells and such).

gyor

Legend
Not an adventure, but I'd suggest The Grand History of the Realms and the SCAG would help with giving them a taste of the realms.

I'd also personally add Dessert of Desolation to your list of Forgotten Realms modules, although it is in a very different region from the rest.

Remove ads