• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best spells to put on a Runic Guardian?

FoxWander

Adventurer
Just as the title says- I'm looking to find the best spells to put on a Runic Guardian.

According to MM2 a Runic Guardian can hold up to six spells. A 1st level spell on its head, a 2nd level spell on each arm, a 3rd level spell on each leg and a 5th level spell on the torso. Alternatively, the entire body can hold a single 6th or 7th level spell. Nowhere in the description does it limit these to arcane or divine spells- so they can be any mix of either. Each spell is usable once per day and can be discharged either on command or when a pre-set situation occurs.

So what do you think are the best spells to put on it? Would you enhance it's combat abilities with an array of buff spells (expeditious retreat, blur, bull's strength, haste, fly, lesser globe of invulnerability)? Would you load it with spells to save your own hide (Cures, remove curse, neutralize poison, dispel magic)? Or would you go for the big guns and load it with a dirty trick (anti-magic field) or a real lifesaver (resurrection)?

There are so many good options- what would you choose?

Scharlata

First Post
FoxWander said:
Just as the title says- I'm looking to find the best spells to put on a Runic Guardian.

Thandrax, a (now destroyed) elven lich, who used to live in the Spiderhaunt Woods in Marco Volo's adventure trilogy I DMed, did empoly a runic guardian that had these spells to protect the phylacter:

see attachment

Kind regards

Attachments

• Runic Guardian Spelllike List Ardania 1287 CSc.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 190

Remove ads