• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Superhero Adventures/mods?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Just looking to see what opinions people had on really good superhero adventure/modules of any game system.

There has been a ton of RPG systems for superheroes only a couple have been really decent, but did any have any really good adventures?

We talk about good fantasy adventures all the time...

curious what people think of the 4color genre and what has been published in the past.

Sheridan

First Post
TSR had a three part time-travel module series, the first of which involved the Golden Age Invaders, the second one involving their western heroes in the 1800s, and the third part involving Kang the time-travelling villain. I really liked the whole "tour of comic book history" throughout the series.

buzz

Adventurer
I've heard high praise for The Coriolis Effect, a Champs 4th (3rd?) ed. scenario. And Death Duel with the Destroyers for V&V was always fun.

Last edited:

SWBaxter

First Post
Villains and Vigilantes had the best adventures, IMHO. There were a lot of them, and off-hand I can't think of a clunker in the bunch. They're still available via drivethru.

Champions had some pretty decent ones, particularly for 4E, but I believe they're mostly out of print. Day of the Destroyer stands out in my memory as a really cool stop-the-master-villain's-plot kind of adventure. I haven't read any of the 5E adventures, but they seem to get decent reviews.

Time of Crisis, for Mutants and Masterminds, was a fun cosmic-scale adventure. Some of the silver/golden age stuff might seem a bit campy (spoilers follow)...

The heroes fight talking apes, nazis, and evil duplicates of themselves

... but for the right kind of campaign, it'd work well as the kickoff for an Avengers/JLA type group.

Ben Robbins

First Post
EditorBFG said:
In addition to the excellent Lame Mage adventures, Church & State really impressed me.
Thanks!

I didn't read Church & State until long after it's release, and I'm sorry I didn't read it sooner. Brand Robins (no relation) did some very creative/groundbreaking structural things, like setting it up so you could play any of the scenes in any order depending on how the game unfolded. I think the only thing that got in it's way was that it was a very, very complicated detective story, with lots and lots of normal people and relationships to keep track of. It could be overwhelming to a GM trying to run the game.

That said, I think it's an absolute loss that Brand didn't release more adventures, or update C&S for 2nd Edition. He clearly had some big ideas and innovations about how to design adventures, which I heartily think we could use more of. The art of adventure design hasn't advanced nearly enough. I know I learned a lot as I progressed from Zodiac Ring to the Dr Null stuff and so on, so I would have loved to see what he came up with next.

Remove ads