Best system for horror... Thoughts?

Sir Brennen

Legend
For years I've used GURPS for horror games - injury and KO's are fairly common, but it's not that easy to actually die. Farily easy to adapt CoC material if you want, even the spell system.

We had one game where a character had to adventure while wheel-chair bound for the second "act" due to injuries sustained earlier. Fortunately, the location of the adventure was "handicapp accessible" :p

Henrix

Explorer
Not familiar with the series you mention, but for modern day horror my vote goes to Unknown Armies, any day.
Very good fear/sanity rules and chaotic, unpredictable, combat.
You don't have to use the weird setting, but parts are probably worth stealing.

iwatt

First Post
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
If you're wanting to avoid a "hit point" system you may want to check out True 20 from Green Ronin. It has a toughness save similar to M&M and would probably be a better match for what you're describing.

Ditto. As an added bonus, the True20 Worlds of Adventure has the Agents of Oblivion campaign setting. They developed sanity rules if those are your cup of tea. basically similar to the toughness save mechanic, but for terror.

I think the toughness save ought to work perfectly. The Winchester brothers don't wear any body armor, and none of them are exactly preternaturally tough (con +1 or +2 at most).

I'm hoping to run a Supernatural type game using True20 very soon. :)

Crothian

First Post
Dread, as Piratecat said, is a fantastic game and perfect for true horror. I don't see Supernatural though as true Horror, so I see nWoD being a little more better for it. Though Drread has the ability to better cover everything in that series as it is not limited by books.

Remove ads