Best system for horror... Thoughts?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
cthulhu.jpg

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Depends on what kind of horror you want to run. I could see using Feng Shui for Army of Darkness/Dead Alive/Dawn of the Dead sorts of games. CoC for the mind blowingly weird and deadly stuff. Mutants and Masterminds for not-so-lethal general horror or comic book type stuff like Werewolf by Night and Morbius.

Nebulous

Legend
Frukathka said:
I'll second BRP Cthulhu. Grim Tales also is a great system, the way it does magic is perfect for modern Horror games.

i'm using the CoC SAN system, but i've found that the GT Horror Section breaks down the actual mental ailments, and their in-game disabilities, much better than the d20 book.

Ron

Explorer
Chaosium's BRP is, by far, the best horror game I ever played. The fact it is also my favorite roleplaying game is also an indicator of how much I like it. Still, Supernatural is less about horror and more about dark fantasy as fear is never an issue to the Winchester brothers. You may want to give a look at Witchcraft by Eden Studios. The core book is available freely as a pdf file and it will be easy to stat Sam (minor gifted) and Dean (mundane), as well as most of the monsters. Witchcraft uses the Unisystem engine, which also power several horror games, such as All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Armies of Darkness, Buffy, and Angel, although some using the cynematic version of the rules.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Dread Chill - 2 great games that game great together. Or so I hope. CoC is still my favorite, but it's a specific horror genre where I think this/these could work well for standard horror genre.

Treebore

First Post
RAVENLOFT d20! I ran that for a year and my players whined to me about how they had trouble going to sleep after the last gaming session nearly every weekend. (Did it without much use of the horror or insanity checks either, I'm just a darn good DM when I get "into" it.)

I've heard a lot of good about CoC for many years as well, so I bet that would be a good way to go too.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ThirdWizard said:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel RPGs (Unisystem)! :D
The PERFECT fit for Supernatural. I'm baffled by people suggesting NWoD or CoC, since the show is about kicking the ass of demons, not being slaughtered by them. Are people making suggestions without having seen the show?

Make the brothers White Hats and the dad more experienced, and you're off and running. Lots of conversion posts on the Eden Studios EZBoard, too.

You might want to get Angel instead of Buffy, since the vehicle rules are there, and you'll need to create your own monsters instead of using the more prefab ones from Buffy.

Remove ads