• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Bestiary 4 or do we really need another monster book?

brvheart

Explorer
Oh, I like monster books or I would not have bought ToH and ToH4. I also bought all of the Creature Collections and still have them. As for monsters out of AP's I don't run many of them and don't run in Goloron nor do I run mythic. So that leaves little there that is appealing.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Oh, I like monster books or I would not have bought ToH and ToH4. I also bought all of the Creature Collections and still have them. As for monsters out of AP's I don't run many of them and don't run in Goloron nor do I run mythic. So that leaves little there that is appealing.

Well, admittedly Golorian is an acquired taste at times, I find some of the monsters and planar stuff pretty darn cool. (Especially the Spawn of Rovagug! Like to see them mix it up with Kaiju.) The Bestiary in the back of some of the APs don't get much love from me either, primarily due to my bias towards undead, evil outsiders and dragons. The others tend to be meh. Well except psychopomps. Those are cool. Not sure how I feel about Formians making a come back.

Which is why Paizo is up to Monster book 4. Monster Books have always been good sellers

Yes but even they'll admit, selling them more than once a year or even just once every two years works out better than one every 6 months.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We'll keep making Bestiaries so long as people keep buying them, and so long as we're still proud of the monster mix and content that goes into them. In an effort to make sure we don't burn through all of our design space in a short period of time, we've released different books in that "slot," including last year's NPC Codex.

It is not a safe assumption that we will do a Bestiary every year.

As for Bestiary 4, it really does have a ton of cool monsters in it. I'm very pleased with the mix, and I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks once they've had a chance to give it a look.

Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Argyle King

Legend
I do not often play Pathfinder, and I've never run Pathfinder, but I can always use more monster ideas. One of the great things about having a modular game on my shelf is being able to convert things into it. In particular, I love the PF style of Goblins. I'm not quite sure what to do with Kobolds though.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I suppose I could do that.

I guess what I mean is that I'm having a hard time finding a place for both Goblins and Kobolds in my world.

Uhm one starts fires...the other kills gnomes. I'm pretty sure if you need more for Kobolds...you're not trying hard enough. At least in the sense Kobolds a) don't sing, b) pretty much stay away from explosions and c) don't mind dogs or horses. I'm pretty sure they hate cats though.

Remove ads