• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Bestiary 4 or do we really need another monster book?

brvheart

Explorer
I tend to favor goblins myself. I have even made my versions of Tucker goblins to fight the players and take tricks from the kobolds!

I guess I must admit to a certain amount of the grapes are sour. I really can't afford to buy it anyway right now. I am disabled and can't work.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I use kobolds as naturally mutative vermin species, normally miners and diggers.

Common traits are as the standard kobolds, but instead of all being lizard/dragon like, some are doglike "yap yap yap" critters. Others are froglike.

My players especially hate the batlike ones.

They are all easily discerned as kobolds. But say...the bat clans have better hearing, some radar, and occasionally one has wings. The frog ones can swim and hold their breath. The fish ones can be murlocks "mrrglrlrlrmgrrr" and "Rwlrwlrwlrwl"

Vermin....intelligent trapsetting spiteful cowardly vermin.

Best natural born miners in the world. (some say the dwarves) Which brings us to their relationship with goblins and ogres etc. They mine for them and sell the crude weapons and ore in bulk. (I think that line is standard).

argentum

First Post
While I do not think i really need another monster book, I do find that flipping through the artwork in the books can inspire me to tell different stories in my games. While i understand the costs that go into producing a book, the $40 is quite steep for something that I would use for inspiration from the art. But i love books so i might pick it up anyway.

Matthias

Explorer
Kobolds are descended from dragons, are really good at traps, and occasionally practice sorcery.

Goblins are descended from orcs, are really good at sneak attacks, and don't practice magic at all.

Both are greedy, cowardly, and evil, just in different ways.

Tovec

Explorer
OT: For Pathfinder's Bestiaries - I needed 1 and 2, in order to get the full range of monsters I had before in the Monster Manual 1. I needed two and I'm happy with my investment, because they focused on different kinds of creatures. First one was more natural creatures and the second focused on higher level threats, I appreciate that split.

They also focused on different kinds of creatures for Bestiary 3, and I like that. I don't currently have a use for the B3 but if I ran a different cosmology or setting I would definitely pick it up.

I don't know what's in B4 yet, but I don't have any issue with them printing more books as long as they have good ideas left. I don't want to see a book of goblins with different roles, that we got with.. monster manual 4, 5 ?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Great-Old-One-Chtulhu.jpg

I think this might help those wondering if Cthulhu was in the book...and some good artwork too. ;)

Remove ads