• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bestow Wound...crap?

Stalker0

Legend
Looking at the SC spell Bestow Wound (1st level sorc/wizard, dread necro). Its a touch attack with a fort save negates, that deals 1 point of damage per caster level and heals you for the same amount (it can only do as much damage as it takes to heal you). And it has a 10 gp material component.

Does anyone else think this spell is craptacular? Its got a material component, both a touch attack and save, does piddly damage, and only heals you if it works. And since I have to be hurt, I'm sending in my hurt caster into melee....praying that he gets healed.

Now I recognize its a way for an arcane caster to heal...but doesn't this seem a little extreme?

Shin Ji

First Post
Use it on captured foes. Saves money on CLW sticks. Or have livestock around for that. Necromancy pork- that's good eatin'!

rowport

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Looking at the SC spell Bestow Wound (1st level sorc/wizard, dread necro). Its a touch attack with a fort save negates, that deals 1 point of damage per caster level and heals you for the same amount (it can only do as much damage as it takes to heal you). And it has a 10 gp material component.

Does anyone else think this spell is craptacular? Its got a material component, both a touch attack and save, does piddly damage, and only heals you if it works. And since I have to be hurt, I'm sending in my hurt caster into melee....praying that he gets healed.

Now I recognize its a way for an arcane caster to heal...but doesn't this seem a little extreme?
Well, as you said, the biggest balancing factor is because it allows an arcane caster to heal himself, which is nothing to sneeze at. That said, it is probably not worthwhile for a straight wizard or sorcerer due to their frail hit points. For a dread necromancer it is not so bad-- the DN is kind of a hybrid wizard/cleric, a bit more able to take melee combat than most other arcane casters (kind of like the warmage). Still, my DN never actually used it. :D

Thikket

Explorer
To expand on what Shin Ji said --

I don't have my books in front of me, nor do I know the rules text for this spell, but can one coup de grace with a touch attack spell? I seem to recall coup de grace calling for a melee weapon -- does one's fist count? (If no, can a Monk not CDG with his unarmed attack?)

The important part would be critical hitting with the spell -- if I can CDG an unconscious mouse in my hand and hope it fails its Fortitude save, would that be a decent source of eeeevil arcane healing? 10g and a 1st level spell slot for the chance of healing 2*lvl HP is okay, I guess... But this probably doesn't work. And if the mouse could still pass the saving throw, it's too risky to use in combat.

Those mice work just fine with Death Knell (and to a lesser extent Vampiric Touch), though, which is what led me to think of this eeeevil possibility.

frankthedm

First Post
Stalker0 said:
No, it is not extreme at all. Wizards and sorcerers are not supposed to be able to heal themselves anything short of polymorph or limited wish. If those were temporary HP, I might be inclined to agree with you. As it stands it lets you swap some HP with the tank in your party.

Felix

Explorer
It feels like a higher-level caster after-combat healing spell; use it on downed foes to bring you back up to max HP. This will help ease the burden of the cleric, and at level 7+ you generally won't use all your 1st level spells. That's when I'd prepare this spell. Even at that level ~10 HP gained is still pretty fair.

Re: Material Compoenent

Potions of CLW cost 50gp and render on average 5.5 HP recovered. This spell is cheaper, though it does require a fort save; you should arrange for the touch attack to be automatic.

But no, awesome is not a word I'd use to describe this spell.

Remove ads