• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beyond the Rerisen Tower(DM Iron Sky, Judge: renau1g)

Yishim speaks with the militia, whose spirit is flagging.

I can see that the trials of this journey have affected you deeply. But look around you. Assembled are some of the bravest and most capable men, women and ... others in Daunton. We'll make our way to the tower, and finish this task.

Yishim's ability to see the root of the militia's desperation and his ability to channel that into fortitude and conviction moves the whole group faster.
[sblock=Insight, Diplomacy]
Not sure which to use here - I'll roll them both, but suggest that maybe Insight into the militia's character might be what I'm shooting for:

Insight, Diplomacy (1d20+7=27, 1d20+3=23)

Good grief, where were these two crits in a row during battle?[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: Fredrock, Toeto, Salgyn, Kaz, and Yishim have gone.

That leaves Eithal, and Scarm yet to go in the skill challenge.

There's also a spare vial of level 6 Holy Water that Scarm has. If anyone wants it, speak now.

[sblock=Resources used]Here's the compiled list of resources people have used so we have a convenient place to refer to when we need them next:
Fredrock: 2 surges
Toeto: Spirit of the Healing Flood
Scarm: 1 surge
Kaz: 3 surges
Eithal: 1 surge
Salgyn: 2 surges
Yishim: 2 surges, Brooch of Shielding[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
"Let's try to keep it down, shall we?" Scarmiglione mutters, unsettled in spite of what he regards as a rather cheap theatrical trick--artificial mist, what next? He fades into the mist himself: if the enemy is planning to surprise them, they may get nasty a surprise themselves--assuming that zombies are capable of being surprised. "Pfah, why worry about such trifles?" Scarmiglione murmurs to himself in response to his own thought. "And, for that matter," he continues even more quietly, "If anyone can surprise a brain-dead walking lump of rotting flesh, it is I!"

[sblock=stealth check]1d20+13=24[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Eithal falls in line with the group. As she trudges through the forest mist, she, herself is not quite sure where she is. The fog is too thick for her to make out any kind of landmark. She turns to Scarmiglione, "Whatah yew talkin' tah yahsayelf fowah?"

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Fredrock struggles through the mist, even the mightly dwarf being worn down by the thick undergrowth and chilling fog.

Toeto observes the woods closely and in all the time the party spends pushing their way through it, he sees no other living creature. The fog is definitely not natural either...

Salgyn's chant helps the party along, empowering their strides and keeping their spirits high.

Kaz spots what he thinks is a trail and the party begins following it, the reduction in undergrowth speeding the party along considerably.

Yishim manages to keep the militia's spirits up - spirits that were flagging after their losses in the ambush on the switchbacks and the sullen march through the forest.

Scarm disappears in the undergrowth along the side of the trail, like a feathered ghost shadowing the party.

Eithal looks around, trying to find a landmark that she might remember from the first trip.

Together, the group manages to make it through the forest, finally pushing their way out of the woods an hour later, unnaturally drained and weary.

Everyone stumbles out of the woods to an overcast sky and a few flickers of lightning in the distance framing the dark stone of the tower jutting up from the cliff. On a quick headcount only fifteen of the sixteen militia that survived the switchback ambush are with the group - somewhere along the way on of the militia got lost in the forest... or worse.

The tower before you is dark, a handful of ravens sitting like tiny gargoyles on the battlements. To those who have been here before, the palisade looks much like it did when you left it. From the forest's edge, you can't see whether the door remains intact...

GM: Skill challenge result: Minor Success(just barely shy of Success).

Result: Tower found, everyone loses 1 healing surge from the chilling mist, 1 militia lost in the woods.

If you're curious about the skill challenge system I'm trying out, I just finished working on it and posted a thread about it here. I didn't have it all the way figured out when you guys were doing it, so you didn't have all the options, but in the future it's probably what I'll use.

Mewness

First Post
If there's enough cover to approach the palisade stealthily, Scarmiglione will sneak over to it for a closer look and listen.

[sblock=ooc]Stealth check then perception check 1d20+13=15 1d20+7=13 wooo, watch that kenku suck!

The skill challenge was only one round, so no milestone, correct?[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
Let us hurry my friends. This one is worried about his companions he left at the tower. Kaz says, motioning to the group to press onward.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Return to the Tower, Round 0

The group advances past the torn-apart palisade, Scarm "sneaking" ahead of the group slightly. As they near the tower, the decapitated horses still rotting in their broken corral, there's a heart-stopping explosion of wings as ravens launch into the air from every battlement and more launch from the trees all around the group, forming a massive swirling storytelling* that dives in to attack the party.

The group barely has time to ready their weapons before the ravens are upon them.

*A storytelling (or unkindness) is apparently the proper term for a "flock" of ravens.

[sblock=Initiative]Enemy: 21
Fredrock: 1d20+0=9
Eithal: 1d20+2=21
Kaz: 1d20+4=12
Yishim: 1d20+5=7
Scarm: 1d20+6=24
Salgyn: 1d20+3=10
Toeto: 1d20+3=18

Scarm and Eithal are up.[/sblock]

[sblock=Combatants]Rerisen Storytelling of Ravens: L18(3 squares up)
Rerisen Storytelling of Ravens: ?? Max HP, ?? AC, ?? Fort, ?? Ref, ?? Will. MBA - ??. Aura - ??

Fredrock: J21
Eithal:
I18
Kaz: H16
Yishim: G20
Scarm: J12
Toeto: D21
Salgyn: E18
*Uyanmas: C16

[sblock=Militia]Militia 1: F13
Militia 2: D14
Militia 3: G15
Militia 4: B17
Militia 5: G18
Militia 6: D19
Militia 7: B21
Militia 8: E22
Militia 9: H22
Militia 10: C24
Militia 11: G25
Militia 12: D26
Militia 13: H27
Militia 14: B28
Militia 15: F29
Militia: Minion, 16 AC, 13 Fort, 13 Ref, 11 Will. MBA - Spear: +7 vs AC, 4 damage.[/sblock]

Status Key:
Name: Location, damage, THP, Save ends effect, EONT/SONT effect, Encounter effect[/sblock]

[sblock=Commanding NPCs]As a minor action, you may give the militia or the Mason a command, either a minor, move, or standard action. If they leave the right side of the map, they are out of the fight.

As a free action, you make take the damage for an adjacent Militia or, alternatively, when you take damage, you make make the Militia take it for you.[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain and Lighting: READ, IMPORTANT]Difficult Terrain: All the gray and/or gray-green rocky areas south of the palisade are difficult terrain. The Palisade squares are all difficult terrain. Squares with wagon debris (B11, I8, and I20 areas) are difficult terrain. N20+ is a 2 square tall cliff face with a palisade atop it(DC 15 to climb).

Light: We'll assume the militia have lanterns so light isn't an issue.[/sblock]

Attachments

• TheTowerRound0.jpg
    TheTowerRound0.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Remove ads