• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Black Company] Any use for generic campaign?

theRogueRooster

First Post
I've been reading the threads here about the Black Company Campaign Setting and was wondering about its usefulness for a generic (i.e. non-Black Company) campaign. I've never read the novels and don't really have any desire to do so, but I'm intrigued by the magic system and the grittiness of combat purported to be in the campaign guide.

How useful is this product for a DM who isn't interested in gaming in the Black Company universe? How feasible would it be to build a homebrew campaign using BCCS game mechanics?

Thanks,
-tRR

JoeGKushner

First Post
It would be very feasible.

The new core classes though should not be used in conjunction with the standard classes as some changes are made to even the base classes like fighters.

Heck, some of the material is useful for any campaign like the critical hits and surprise rules but can make it a very dangerous game.

Old One

First Post
Yep...

I definitely think so. I only purchase 2-3 gaming books a year and I have been waiting for this one for a long time. I picked up the book because:

(a) I am a long-time Black Company fan

-AND-

(b) Although I may never run a Black Company campaign, I find many elements of the book very attractive. The book is about 50% Black Company fluff and 50% crunchy bits, IMO. I am seriously thinking about yoinking the magic system and dropping it into my homebrew lock, stock and augmentation. A number of the classes, feats and combat options are well-done and would work well, particularly in a military-themed campaign.

I haven't played around with the unit and mass combat systems yet...so no comments on that element yet.

Now I just need to figure out how to blend Grim Tales and BC elements together to create the primo system ;)!

~ Old One

Yuan-Ti

First Post
If I run a campaign using the BC, I will not be using the setting because only one of my players know the books at all and because I do not want to try to stay true to the setting but create one with the feel of the BC setting.

If I were you, I would simply use the BC rules in whatever setting you want, but that means not just the magic system, the classes as well. Some of them may not fit (I still haven't decided if the zealot works in my plans or not).

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Yuan-Ti said:
If I run a campaign using the BC, I will not be using the setting because only one of my players know the books at all and because I do not want to try to stay true to the setting but create one with the feel of the BC setting.

I too picked up the book because, inspite of my long time love of the books, I have toyed with injecting Black Company-esque "feel" into the my home-brew. I love that the BCCS stuck as close as possible to the novels' presentation.

Maester Luwin

First Post
I think you could use the classes, the magic system, combat system, & the useful info on how to start & maintain a mercanary company in just about any D20 campaign ( as long as you use the BC's classes or PHB's classes & don't mix-n- match). Just my two coppers. Thanks Maester Luwin

hellbender

First Post
Yuan-Ti said:

If I were you, I would simply use the BC rules in whatever setting you want, but that means not just the magic system, the classes as well. Some of them may not fit (I still haven't decided if the zealot works in my plans or not).

I wouldn't refrain from using the setting because players didn't know the books, I have played in Forgotten Realms games without ever having read any of the novels. I have loaned out a few extras of the first Black Company novel I had acquired from secondhand bookstores, although I wouldn't hesitate trying out a group without any knowledge of the Black Company world. They would learn about the world the hard way.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
hellbender said:
I wouldn't refrain from using the setting because players didn't know the books, I have played in Forgotten Realms games without ever having read any of the novels. .

I hope that isn't really a comparison you want to make. ;)

My point really applies to the people likely to play in my campaign. Your players and your mileage may vary.

hellbender

First Post
Yuan-Ti said:
I hope that isn't really a comparison you want to make. ;)

My point really applies to the people likely to play in my campaign. Your players and your mileage may vary.
Oh, I do see your point, and no, there is no comparison to make at all :) . I just meant that you can just plunk them down in the world, even a bit unwillingly (hopefully just at first). Over the years I have played many settings that I was completely new to and adapted quite well to (like Glorantha, for example) and have introduced players to many diverse settings (Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: the Masquerade, Rifts, Deadlands and the Warhammer Fantasy RPG among others). I am just trying to goad you into running a pure Black Company campaign (after all, you are doing topnotch with Fork on the Green Ronin forums).

Remove ads