• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Sails of Freeport

Calim

First Post
Anyone played this yet?

I have seen one review of it and it stated not to waste your time, I was hoping that I could get a bit of wider response.

I will be starting the freeport series and was going to work all the way through but if the consensus agrees with this other guy, .I also am ready to go a different way if

Thanks

Last edited:

Ghostwind

First Post
You'll find two different reviews here, although one is written by a reviewer that some folks on these boards seem to have no use for, so take it as it is...

Gumby

First Post
I've got it and will probably DM it sometime this year. It looks great to me, but it doesn't really seem to have the same feel that the original three modules had. That to me is a plus, as Lovecraftian mysteries with lots of socializing don't really sell to my group.

BSOF, on the other hand, is pretty much balls-to-the-wall action-adventure, with lots of pirate action, naval battles, rope swinging, zombie hordes, talking gorillas, fiendish mutants, giant flying metal heads, and other B-Movie/Errol Flynn stuff. The serpent men only have a little cameo in the end, and even that's completely optional.

RichGreen

Adventurer
I have it and am about halfway through reading it. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun to play, although there is a lot of B-movie zaniness and not much Lovecraft influenced horror.

Cheers

Richard

jessemock

First Post
Calim said:
Anyone played this yet?

I have seen one review of it and it stated not to waste your time, I was hoping that I could get a bit of wider response.

I will be starting the freeport series and was going to work all the way through but if the consensus agrees with this other guy, .I also am ready to go a different way if

Thanks

I'll post a review of it here in the next day or two.

Here's the gist in one line: a decent module, very well formatted, that uses a cliched plotline as a framework for a series of fairly neat encounters, which it ekes out to the point of dilution with pop-culture allusions, ironic humour, puns, and inside jokes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads