• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Spine: Adventures under a Dark Sun

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
There are maybe five hundred people in the camp; only two hundred are in physical condition to fight properly, of those no more than a quarter are trained in the use of weapons, and none of those have military experience. The stone building, as it turns out a temple, is quite defensible, having only one entrance with quite solid stone doors. Towards the rear of the temple is a small fountain of clear water, and a large granite offering bowl filled with various goods.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Arriha: Aarakocra Air Cleric 1 / Nomad 9 PP's:61

During a moment when there are no strangers around, Arriha asked Grykee, "Have we asked the gith why they are attacking this place?"

Meanwhile, Arriha checked on those that needed healing and rested herself for the evening. Upon spotting the temple, Arriha will try to determine who it is dedicated to.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Grykee Diplo +27 Intim +10 SenMot +17 Bluff +23

To Arriha at some moment, "That has been on my mind since we learned it was multiple tribes together. I doubt that anyone here knows, but I'll ask."

After seeing the prisoners, Grykee will continue walking around the camp with Tenpug. Trying to get a feel for its defensibility, and its people*.

Whilst walking she discusses the mission with Tenpug**, "So I take it you want us to drive off these Gith or atleast defend this village until they move on. Why not just up and move to a less dangerous place?"

"Rakskon said you are willing to pay in trade; or silver if you have too. Our fee will be four hundred silver up front, ten thousand in trade goods after the job is done***. I don't wish to strip you of all your coin or trade."

"When did these raiders first show up? Have you any information about them? What have your hunters seen concerning their numbers? Disposition? Any leaders spotted or mentioned during clashes?"

OOC:
*Mostly do they look like escaped slaves. Religious nuts. What racial mix is there. How many stone buildings. Etc.

**These are but her opening questions and presented broken up since she wouldn't just rapid fire them off at him, but allow a back and forth of q&a.

***Obviously just an opening bid. She fully expects to be haggled down some what, and her body language and tone will relay that. If you wish to cut to the final deal instead of going back and forth I am fine with that.

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
evileeyore said:
Whilst walking she discusses the mission with Tenpug, "So I take it you want us to drive off these Gith or atleast defend this village until they move on. Why not just up and move to a less dangerous place?"

"Many still consider that an option. They forget that we do not have enough portable supplies to last more than a month, much less the odds of finding another water source that will support us all. That is, of course, assuming that the gith would let us flee; they are swifter than a band of artisans could ever be."

evileeyore said:
"Rakskon said you are willing to pay in trade; or silver if you have too. Our fee will be four hundred silver up front, ten thousand in trade goods after the job is done. I don't wish to strip you of all your coin or trade."
"Rakskon says many things he does not mean. We can spare ten thousand ceramics in trade, after we have collected our share of the steel for crafting; an initial fee of perhaps two hundred silver may be in order, but no more."

evileeyore said:
"When did these raiders first show up? Have you any information about them? What have your hunters seen concerning their numbers? Disposition? Any leaders spotted or mentioned during clashes?"
"They have been here for two weeks. We have no count of their numbers, nor any mention of leaders; my people have not senselessly risked their lives attempting to infiltrate that murderous horde."

evileeyore said:
OOC:
*Mostly do they look like escaped slaves. Religious nuts. What racial mix is there. How many stone buildings. Etc.

The only building is the temple; there are tents within the temple, and some that look as if they used to be outside but have been moved within in the last couple weeks. It's clear that they're mostly escaped slaves; there are a handful of mul, mostly aged or crippled gladiators. Most are humans and half-elves, with a sprinkling of dwarves.

Cerebus13

First Post
Ursus

Ursus spends some time examining the inside and outside of the temple.

OOC:
1) How thick are the walls? and the doors?
2) Are there any windows/slits throughout the walls and such that could be fired through with a bow?
3) Is the temple big enough to house the entire village?
4) How many floors does the temple have? In particular..does it have any sort of basement?
5) Is the roof flat or sloped? If it is sloped...is the angle small enough that people could stand/sit on it?

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Cerebus13 said:
Ursus

Ursus spends some time examining the inside and outside of the temple.

OOC:
1) How thick are the walls? and the doors?
2) Are there any windows/slits throughout the walls and such that could be fired through with a bow?
3) Is the temple big enough to house the entire village?
4) How many floors does the temple have? In particular..does it have any sort of basement?
5) Is the roof flat or sloped? If it is sloped...is the angle small enough that people could stand/sit on it?

The walls are over a foot thick, the doors 8 inches. There are neither windows nor arrow slits. It is some two hundred feet across and over three hundred long, large enough to physically hold the entire village, but not with a great deal of elbow room. There are no stairs visible, and the portion of the roof that is exposed is flat (much of it lies beneath the sand).

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Paxus Asclepius said:
"Rakskon says many things he does not mean. We can spare ten thousand ceramics in trade, after we have collected our share of the steel for crafting; an initial fee of perhaps two hundred silver may be in order, but no more."

"Hmph. That will be exceptable*. I see that when Rakskon made promises of metal he left some details out. (She holds up her hands to forestall Tenpug) I know, Rakskon says many things that you do not mean. Next time I would suggest not sending Rakskon as your 'voice'. He prevaricates a little too much.**"

Paxus Asclepius said:
"They have been here for two weeks. We have no count of their numbers, nor any mention of leaders; my people have not senselessly risked their lives attempting to infiltrate that murderous horde."

"So then why did Rakskon.. Never mind I just ask him where he got those numbers myself. 'Rakskon says many things'... I'll say many things..." She mutters the last just loud enough for Tenpug to get a chuckle at.

She will continue the walk about the camp talking with Tenpug about the village and people to get a feel for how he thinks about them, finally ending back at the carpentry tent.***

"I must speak with my lieutenante. After we rest for a bit, we will speak again about ending these Gith. May you find shade and sweet water."

OOC
* I figure that is the final offer.
**This coming from Grykee! Anyway she is trying to sound good humored. Inwardly she is a 'wee bit' despondent and upset over the 'fortune in metal' being shared. She is after a material girl.
***She is just getting a feel for Tenpug, in order to understand him more readily for future willbending, err, negotiations. :heh:

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
"May your footing be true, and your friends truer." He leaves you.

OOC: Tenpug appears to feel quite paternal towards the village; he's one of the few who's ever seen combat, and doesn't want it to happen to his people, but he's also quite intelligent, and realizes that flight isn't an option. Thus, he got people who could keep his village from being wiped out.

Cerebus13

First Post
Ursus

When he is able to talk to all of his companions at once again Ursus explains his examination of the temple.

"It's the most defensible place anywhere in the village, but barely large enough to hold everyone. The walls are very thick, as are the doors, but there are no windows so any fighting would be at the entrance. Unfortunately it is half buried in the sand so placing anyone on the roof would not work for very long because the Gith could scale the dunes and attack them. I am unsure what exactly to do but putting all of the non combatants into the temple would be a very good start."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Arriha: Aarakocra Air Cleric 1 / Nomad 9 PP's:65

Once Grykee explained what Ten-pug had told her, Arriha said (to all of the group - without the villagers), "Perhaps you should speak with Ralston, again. It appears that he knows more than he told the village . . . or he lied to us about his information. If it is the latter, I don't want to think about what else he may have lied about. We would neeed to re-think our options."

"If the villagers have not explored the gith invasion, we need to get the information from Grykee's new gith friends . . . at least get their view point. If they don't have anything to offer, a quick strike to grab someone that does might be in order."

Remove ads