• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blade Ward cantrip

Yaarel

He-Mage
Maybe I am missing something, but isn't this cantrip useless?

Ok, strictly speaking, it isnt ‘useless’. But the Blade Ward cantrip is virtually useless.

Cantrips are a precious limited resource. According to the rules as written, a caster can only know a few of them. The caster chooses which cantrip to take, moreorless for life, for the remaining 20 levels. And the caster is unable to know any other cantrips beyond these ones chosen.

A player must choose cantrips wisely.

In the context of other cantrips that are more effective and more useful − Blade Ward is a foolish waste.

Nocturnowl_0

First Post
I see where you're coming from with that, but it does have some important limitations: first, it only defends against the first attack that hits you; second, it requires concentration; and third, it's still subject to the limitation against casting more than one spell per round. The intention with this design is that this spell shouldn't suck. By requiring only a bonus action, it allows a wizard to use an item or take the Dash action in the same round, as well as allowing gish-types to make an attack with their action. It's strong, but I don't believe it's broken.

Good points, I was just looking at it from an eldritch knight perspective. Some of the sub-classes features are kinda side-stepped when you can cast and still take your full attack action with almost no cost. Currently the knight loses some of his hitting power when he chooses to cast, but as you've said other hybrids that don't get more than two attack per action benefit greatly when using your modified Blade ward.

Warlock; say level 5 - casts armor of agathys as a level 3 spell giving 15 temp Hp. On a following turn, the warlock casts blade ward; then runs straight through a group of Orcs; each one uses its reaction to attack the low AC warlock. Each one who hits deals only 2-5 damage whilst dying instantly from the 15 cold damage.

Hilarious, but ultimately... fireball is a thing at level 5; so why would you do this?

...actually, no, I would still totally do this. xD

For an Eldritch Knight who can also make an attack when casting a Cantrip, not so bad. Or someone who has a Sword of Speed and wants to fight defensively.

Warlock; say level 5 - casts armor of agathys as a level 3 spell giving 15 temp Hp. On a following turn, the warlock casts blade ward; then runs straight through a group of Orcs; each one uses its reaction to attack the low AC warlock. Each one who hits deals only 2-5 damage whilst dying instantly from the 15 cold damage.

Hilarious, but ultimately... fireball is a thing at level 5; so why would you do this?

...actually, no, I would still totally do this. xD

I think even as dumb as orcs are, after the first exploded the rest would pass on that attack of opportunity.

Slit518

Adventurer
Hello.

Maybe I am missing something, but isn't this cantrip useless?

"Gives you resistance to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from weapons until the end of your next turn."

It looks like a dodge action is better than this, and everyone can use.

I am avoiding making house rules, but I think this cantrip would usable if it was like this:

Gives you resistance to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from weapons.
Duration: one minute (concentration).
If you take any damage, this spell is finished.

Another option would be putting it as a level one spell, with casting time: bonus action.

What do you guys think?

I would say it's good for people who can Cantrip, and as a Bonus Action get 1 weapon attack.

Arial Black

Adventurer
My current PC is a Bar 1/War 3 (fiendish bladelock). The idea is that I use spells before raging (a pre-asskicking shatter/fireball later) and armour of agathys to get the most out of that spell because I take half damage while raging.

When I level up I will take War 4, which gets me one more cantrip and one more spell known. I will take fey step for those situations when I want to get in the middle of the mooks to get the most out of AofA.

The trouble is I want to be taking half damage at that point, because that's the whole point of this tactic. To get half damage I need to Rage.

But if I'm raging then I can't cast spells, so I have to fey step first and then Rage.

The problem is that casting fey step is a bonus action, starting my Rage is a bonus action, and I only get one bonus action. My idea won't work!

This is where the 'Totally Useless(TM)' blade ward actually has a use. I will take this cantrip at the same time as I learn fey step. I cast blade ward as my action and fey step into the midst of the mooks as my bonus action. They whale on me and take more cold damage than I take weapon damage, and on my next turn (and if there are enough mooks remaining to make it worth my while) I can Rage and attack.

Of course this tactic is only worth the spell slot if there is no other way for me to get amongst the mooks at that point; across a chasm, beyond a choke point, etc.

Anna Kin

First Post
Well, for a weak bard who finds themselves in a precarious situation where they accidentally dimension door themselves in the middle of a horde of enemies (it can happen if you're DDing in a place you're familiar with, but haven't fully explored and you're trying to quickly catch up with some friends who are being viciously ambushed. Note critical role) and you're afraid of being viciously attacked by foes.

I will say that this would be much better if it included all forms of bludgeoning, piercing, etc, and not just those cause by weapons.

Remove ads