• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bloodcut Armour PHB - any nerfs ?

Istar

First Post
I have had a look but cant find any nerfs for it.

Is this right, for a level 4 item.
You can expend a surge as many as you want.

And get resist 10 till the end of your turn ?

Not bad as a tank early on might have 13 surges but the healers and tank have limited ability to access them.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I have had a look but cant find any nerfs for it.

Is this right, for a level 4 item.
You can expend a surge as many as you want.

And get resist 10 till the end of your turn ?

Not bad as a tank early on might have 13 surges but the healers and tank have limited ability to access them.

Make sure you read about what it takes to spend the healing surge to power the armor.

PHB p.226

OSEZNO

First Post
I'm pretty sure (maybe I'm wrong) that you're spending a surge to gain the resist 10, but not gaining surge HP.

Edit: Ah, or that. As stated in above post.

OSEZNO

First Post
The power on the armor would operate like this: You get one use per day of that ability (minor action, resist 10), it recharges during an extended rest (or) you can use a standard action to spend a healing surge, you gain NO hp, and it recharges the power.

You can then use a minor action to reactive the resist 10.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Yep, what OSEZNO said. The whole "Healing Surge" frequency of power use is a little bizarre, and there are VERY few items that use it, as I recall. I think that Bloodcut Armor was the only one for a long time; maybe it still is.

Recharging it during battle is costly (you give up the healing surge AND your standard action just for the recharge), but it's easy enough to recharge between battles as long as you have the surges to spare.

Mapache

Explorer
Yep, what OSEZNO said. The whole "Healing Surge" frequency of power use is a little bizarre, and there are VERY few items that use it, as I recall. I think that Bloodcut Armor was the only one for a long time; maybe it still is.

It's so fiddly and so frequently misinterpreted that I'm sure Wizards rightly decided "Healing Surge" as a frequency was a design mistake and decided to not use it ever again.

WalterKovacs

First Post
It's so fiddly and so frequently misinterpreted that I'm sure Wizards rightly decided "Healing Surge" as a frequency was a design mistake and decided to not use it ever again.

It was an interesting idea at the time. If they did it again, they would probably wouldn't have made it a frequency, and instead just had an at-will power to spend a surge as a standard action to get back the daily power usage.

Istar

First Post
I wonder if you are reading the same as me, as this is what it says, unless there has been a nerf:

"Power (Healing Surge) : Minor Action".

The only way this can be read is that it is a healing surge, that requires you to use a healing surge as a minor action.

The minor action gives you the resistance.

Their is nothing in there whatsoever that says you cant use up 13 surges in consequetive rounds to have the resistance ongoing.

There is absolutely zero notice about it being limited to a daily or encounter power.

And nothing to say in there whatsoever that there is any standard actions involved at all.

Unless the power has changed.

Remove ads