• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Board games you own and would recommend

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Top 10 games presently...

#1: Twilight Struggle
#2: Power Grid
#3: San Juan
#4: Advanced Squad Leader
#5: Last Night on Earth, the Zombie Game
#6: Tigris and Euphrates
#7: Caylus
#8: Roma
#9: Notre Dame
#10: Thebes

Cheers!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Risk 2210 is definitely way better than plain ol' Risk, though not saying much. I've got a friend who's obsessed with it, though (your name's not Skye, is it?)

Huge 2210 fan here too. Even started on a website for it, and have one of those oversized plexiglass boards for the game that I won at GenCon in 2001 or 2002.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I'd give a shout out to Lost Empires, a Knizia game of exploration (actually a card game of suit building with some nice tactical choices and a clever delay-the-game-end mechanic), [...].

Lost empires is a great little two player game. Note that this year's Spiel des Jahres is Knizia's Keltis, which has many parallels to Lost Empires, somthing like Lost Empires for four people.

By the way, it's the first time Rainer Knizia recieved this award.

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden

CountPopeula

First Post
.Starcraft: The Board Game and World of Warcraft: The Board Game are both great games, though expensive and the time commitment required for each can limit how often you'll actually get to play.

Just out of curiosity, and totally off topic, but how sturdy are the miniatures in the WoW board game? Since the WoW minis game is going to be 40mm scale, I've been thinking more and more about picking this up, but i don't know if the quality of the minis is worth it

Asmor

First Post
Just out of curiosity, and totally off topic, but how sturdy are the miniatures in the WoW board game? Since the WoW minis game is going to be 40mm scale, I've been thinking more and more about picking this up, but i don't know if the quality of the minis is worth it

Just so you know, they're not painted, and come in 3 colors each: red. green and blue. The quality of the plastic is decent. It's not as bendy as the D&D minis plastic, so it's more likely for these to break, though the only problems I've had were with a few of the flying minis in Starcraft having snapped off their clear plastic bases during shipment, a common problem, but FFG was very good about replacing them promptly). I wouldn't call it brittle, though. If you don't mind garish colors or you're willing to paint them, go for it.

I just played Dungeon Twister, and was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it. I say I was surprised because dungeon crawly games usually just make me wish that I was playing D&D, instead (e.g. Talisman, Dungeon!, Hero Quest, Runebound, et cetera). Dungeon Twister has a lot more strategy, and little randomness.

CountPopeula

First Post
Just so you know, they're not painted, and come in 3 colors each: red. green and blue. The quality of the plastic is decent. It's not as bendy as the D&D minis plastic, so it's more likely for these to break, though the only problems I've had were with a few of the flying minis in Starcraft having snapped off their clear plastic bases during shipment, a common problem, but FFG was very good about replacing them promptly). I wouldn't call it brittle, though. If you don't mind garish colors or you're willing to paint them, go for it.

Yeah, i paint almost all my own minis, I play Anima, Warmachine, and 40K. I even tend to repaint/touch up heroclix. I'm glad to hear they're not bendy, that's what I was afraid of, I was hoping for hard plastic, not like the rubbery Star Wars/D&D minis. Much easier to paint something that doesn't bend. I'll have to check it out, if I'm not mistaken it averages out to less than 50 cents per mini. Although I only really want the Horde characters and the murlocs, but that's my problem.

Asmor

First Post
Yeah, i paint almost all my own minis, I play Anima, Warmachine, and 40K. I even tend to repaint/touch up heroclix. I'm glad to hear they're not bendy, that's what I was afraid of, I was hoping for hard plastic, not like the rubbery Star Wars/D&D minis. Much easier to paint something that doesn't bend. I'll have to check it out, if I'm not mistaken it averages out to less than 50 cents per mini. Although I only really want the Horde characters and the murlocs, but that's my problem.

Just so we're clear, it's not as hard as the plastic used in Warhammer (which I'd definitely describe as brittle). So somewhere between Warhammer's hard brittle plastic and DDM's soft rubbery plastic.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
RoboRally Fun with crazed robot racing. The more dangerous the map, the better.

Betrayal at House on the Hill Its every horror movie that every happened in an abandoned house. Coop, but with an eventual secret traitor. Works better with the errata; one of our most requested game.

Haven't played Arkham, which I read is in all ways better; but I'd like a comparison for one who has played both.

Rakor

First Post
I like Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition. If you like six-eight hour games of galactic domination.

Ricochet robots is a great one which plays un unlimited number of people in zero minutes to an hour.

Betrayal is the most successfuly game I've ever brought to a table.

Hey Merric, I like your taste and advice, Twilight Struggle is at the top of my list of things to get.

Remove ads